Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: Some changes at the M1911.org forum

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Some changes at the M1911.org forum

Those who have looked over the entire site that makes up this forum have probably noticed that down near the bottom of the forum Index page is a sub-area that we called "Project Airsoft." We called it that for a simple reason: back in the day (as the saying goes), the boss developed a strong interest in airsoft handguns, and we were conducting tests on as many airsoft guns as we could get samples of.

Fast forward to today, when the world is largely closed due to COVID-19, many of us are working from home and self-isolating for safety, and it has become nearly impossible to buy either ammunition or reloading components. Although M1911.ORG is the first "gun" forum I look at when I sit down at the computer, I do scan a few other sites, as well. In doing so, I've noticed an "uptick" in discussions about the practicality of using airsoft and airgun (both BB and pellet) guns to maintain skills when you can't buy ammunition and/or you can't get to a range to shoot the real stuff. Our "Project Airsoft" area has always been open to discussions of BB and pellet guns as well as airsoft, but the names and descriptions of the discussion areas weren't what I would call crystal clear on that. So I got El Comandante to revise those a bit, to help open up those areas to more discussion of "BB guns" as well as airsoft.

I currently have a student whom I put through the NRA Basic Pistol class who is still afraid of guns and who probably won't pass the live fire component when we get to the range. So I have her practicing with a pellet pistol (a Sig Sauer, sadly, but her husband inherited it from his father so they already had it available) in her back yard. With the COVID-19 numbers going up again, almost as steeply as they did in March and April, I'm getting nervous about going to the range (I shoot at a public, indoor range), so I'm thinking about making a couple of target stands and shooting IDPA style in my driveway.

Let's hear from our members who use airsoft and/or BB and pellet air guns for practice. What do you use, and how do you use it? Do you think airsoft and air gun practice helps with your real shooting, or are you with those who think it's counterproductive because of the lack of recoil?
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside
    Likes (1) :
    Sergio Natali (29th October 2020)

Posts liked by others
    I have a gas powered airsoft pistol modeled after the S&W M&P9. I bought it to use in a two day force-on-force class that was open to Threat Focused Pistol course alumni only, a couple of years ago.

The pistol and mags looked, felt and functioned (the slide reciprocated when fired to load the next pellet from the mag) like my M&P9’s. The pistol fit the holsters, and the mags fit the mag pouches for my “real” M&P9. There was an additional feature the airsoft pistol had; a little switch on the underside of the slide that changed the operation from semi-auto to full auto.

The pistol is NOT A TOY. It is powerful enough to penetrate and tear unprotected skin. I believe that back when I bought it, the price was around $145.00 for the pistol, and that included a magazine and a few accessories. Additional mags were $38.00 each. Also; it’s surprisingly accurate.

As far as airsoft practice in lieu of “real firearm” training; I believe that it would be beneficial. One can still work on sight picture, trigger control, grip, and stance when shooting an airsoft.

Now, as to there being no recoil; the same could be said about shooting .22 LR pistols and revolvers, but they’re frequently used as training firearms. No one is disputing the value of shooting “.22’s” for training. As a matter of fact; I’ll be shooting IDPA practice for the next few weeks with a Ruger LCR in .22 LR. Negligible recoil, but with one of the heaviest DAO trigger pulls that can be found, and a two inch barrel; it’s a great training tool. When you get proficient with one of them; anything else you pick up to shoot is going to be remarkably easy to shoot well.

I don’t personally have much use for the low power spring operated airsofts, and wouldn’t use one of those for training. The wife has had a couple in the past for use in running the squirrels off the bird feeders. They were OK for that, but not really accurate enough beyond a few feet. There’s no comparison between those and a good quality “green gas” powered airsoft pistol.
    "Sights are for the unenlightened."

Rick

IDPA Certified Safety Officer
    Last edited by Rick McC.; 29th October 2020 at 13:50.