Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

Happy Thanksgiving
to all those who celebrate it.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Powder Measures

Posts liked by others

Powder Measures

I was recently on a website dedicated to the M1 rifle. I read some interesting posts from people who made it a habit of leaving powder in their powder measures for a significant amount of time. They stated that the clear plastic portion (hopper, reservoir, not sure of the correct term) warped to the point that it started to separate from the metal portion of the measure. One of the posters stated that eventually, the powder will attack the plastic. That being said, would it not be a bad idea keeping powder in the plastic container it is purchased in? That just does not seem feasible on the face of it. I have never heard of any of that happening in anything that I have read about reloading. As for myself, the most I leave powder in the measure is a day or two if I am reloading on consecutive days. Has anybody here heard or experienced something like this?

Posts liked by others
    The black plastic (HDPE, I think) powder cans are made for long term storage.
    Cheap acrylic powder measures skate by telling you not to leave powder in them when not in use.p

I ruined a Redding by leaving double base powder in it.
    My Dillons are discolored.
    There is an outfit making Pyrex hoppers.

Posts liked by others
    Iíve been leaving powder in my Dillon powder measure for as long as Iíve had it, except for several pre-obama years when Walmart was selling WWB in 9mm and .45 acp for cheaper than you could load it. Itís still in great shape.

That said, itís usually a good idea to follow manufacturerís recommendations. Except the really stupid ones; like always keeping your pistol unloaded. Until you need it...
    "Sights are for the unenlightened."

Rick

IDPA Certified Safety Officer
    Last edited by Rick McC.; 18th October 2020 at 21:03.

Posts liked by others
    I have an RCBS measure. As I said, I only leave powder in it for a day or two at most. After 8 years, the clear plastic is slightly fogged towards the bottom. Both of you guy's post seem to echo what I have read and experienced.

Posts liked by others
    I've had the same RCBS powder measure for 46 years. It still works great. Once in a while if I'm done reloading, but plan to do more the next day I'll leave the remaining powder in the measure overnight. One overnight is the longest I leave powder in there. Somewhere long ago I read that smokeless powder shouldn't be exposed to light for extended periods of time. So, on those few nights when I do leave powder in the measure, I cover the measure to prevent direct light from acting upon the powder.
    i sold all my handguns. . . . . . . . . . except for the 1911 style pistols in .45 ACP.

Posts liked by others
    I cover my Dillon measures when not in use, too.
    Likes (1) :
    MuyModesto (19th October 2020)

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    I cover my Dillon measures when not in use, too.
    Me too, but with powder in it.
    "Sights are for the unenlightened."

Rick

IDPA Certified Safety Officer
    Likes (1) :
    MuyModesto (19th October 2020)

Posts liked by others
    It used to be easy for the powder company to remove the solvent. Now, they have to use low-volatile (slower evaporating) solvents to save the Earth. Mind you, the same AMOUNT of solvent gets released, but over a longer period of time. This is called politics. These new solvents can attack plastic and are hard to remove. Thus, you can find any can of powder to have issues with clumping due to excess solvent remaining in the powder.
    There are folks who consider maintaining their equipment more important than USING their equipment, so they don't leave powder in measures and have to clean out the powder measure every time they use it and then spend 10-30 minutes getting their powder measure/powder column to stabilize so the throws are consistent. They also freak out if their hopper discolors. Thankfully, for them, Pyrex glass hoppers are made.
    Just one thing: Don't expose powder to sunlight/UV.
    NRA Life Member
    Likes (1) :
    MuyModesto (20th October 2020)

Posts liked by others
    The only cleaning I do on my powder measure is when I switch to another powder, I make sure I remove all the powder I had been using and blow it out with my air gun. I may clean it with a solvent every now and then. If I recall correctly in the instruction manual it states that the film left on the surfaces help to "season" or coat (for lack of a better description) the internal surfaces of the measure and that results in smoother metering.

Posts liked by others
    The "film" is a dry lube. I have never had to solvent clean a measure after initial cleaning. If you do this, be sure to run graphitized powder or powdered graphite through it again.
    NRA Life Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast