Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Para Slim-Hawg Recoil Spring Assembly & Extractor

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Para Slim-Hawg Recoil Spring Assembly & Extractor

This is my 1st 1911 post! I’ve read for over ten (10) years, now I’ve decided to take the field & play

I own a .45 ACP Para 1911 Slim-Hawg pistol & want to buy a couple of spare recoil spring assemblies & extractors.

Where exactly might they be located now that Para USA has been absorbed by bankrupt Remington?

https://nypost.com/2020/09/28/bankru...old-in-pieces/

We may be left with few alternatives to source functional spare parts for the Slim-Hawg.

May I use standard Officer Model/Defender firing pin springs for the Slim-Hawg?

I tried to post photos of my Slim-Hawg that I took with my Apple iPhone 8 + but this site would not let me upload them...failed every time...I tried twice.

Jason Charles Reichenbach, Esq.

“When People fear the government there is tyranny. When the government fears the People there is Liberty.” - Thomas Jefferson

Posts liked by others
    Not sure what the slim hawg is.
    I have two 3" Paras. I used EGW spring assembly in both.
    You can also try Sarco & Wolfe for parts.

Posts liked by others
    I have photos but I can’t seem to post them here.
    it’s a stainless 3” single stack 45ACP 1911.

“When People fear the government there is tyranny. When the government fears the People there is Liberty.” - Thomas Jefferson

Posts liked by others
    Can you send me the website address to the 3” 1911 recoil spring assembly item?

Posts liked by others
    We reviewed the Slim Hawg when it first came out, back in 2006: https://ezine.m1911.org//POslimhawg.htm

As you can see in the photo showing the pistol detail stripped, the Slim Hawg uses one of those dual "encapsulated" spring recoil assemblies. Para didn't sell individual springs for it, they only sold the complete assembly. All Para parts were bought out by Sarco and Numrich, so those would be the places to check if you want OEM parts. The last time I checked, they didn't have them

For the 3-inch Para models, Wolff Gunsprings doesn't list anything for recoil springs or recoil assemblies. Wolff does list replacement springs for the Colt Defender, which is also a 3-inch pistol. It may be possible to use the Colt springs in the para assembly -- I haven't tried it, so I won't say that it will work, only that it might work. https://www.gunsprings.com/COLT/DEFE...ID1/mID1/dID66

Likewise, Wolff also lists recoil spring sets for the Kimber Ultra-Carry, which is also a 3-inch pistol. Same as the Colt springs -- they might work in the para assembly, but I don't know. https://www.gunsprings.com/KIMBER/Ul...1/mID32/dID414

And then there's the EGW recoil kit: https://www.egwguns.com/3-1911-guide...8-40-stainless

As to extractors-- the Slim Hawg unfortunately used Para's Power Xtractor, which was new when the Slim Hawg came out. The Power Xtractor was an interesting idea, but it didn't work out all that well in practice. Toward the end of Para USA, Para had given up on the Power Xtractor and was using a proprietary extractor made for them by EGW. The Power Xtractor used a larger extractor tunnel, so you can only use conventional 1911 extractors by fitting an adapter sleeve (which is available from EGW and from Brownells). EGW still sells their super extractor that replaces the Para Power Xtractor: https://www.egwguns.com/1911-egw-hd-...-with-pxt-hole
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside
    Likes (1) :
    Rick McC. (19th October 2020)

Last edited by Hawkmoon; 19th October 2020 at 10:43. Reason: typo

Posts liked by others
    In my .45 3", I used EGW #10509-SS.
    SS is stainless.
    Been happy with it. Also used the kit in the 9mm 3".

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Norton View Post
    In my .45 3", I used EGW #10509-SS.
    SS is stainless.
    Been happy with it. Also used the kit in the 9mm 3".
    10509-SS is for .45 ACP. 10508-SS is for 9mm and .38 Super.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside

Posts liked by others
    I bought a 3" 1911 Kimber Ultra Carry Recoil Assembly to try out...it works perfectly in my Colt Night Defender. However, as you can see from the attached photos, the Para Slim Hawg assembly has a notch cut out that is required for a proper fit...I can't get the Kimber assembly to fit for that reason. I wonder if I am going to have to cut a notch in there to get the replacement to fit?

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1005702673?pid=768413

That's the link I used for this replacement part.

2.jpg1.jpg0.jpg

Last edited by Reichenbach; 23rd October 2020 at 19:47. Reason: I accidentally omitted the MidwayUSA URL.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Norton View Post
    Not sure what the slim hawg is.
    I have two 3" Paras. I used EGW spring assembly in both.
    You can also try Sarco & Wolfe for parts.
    I've attached photos of my little single stack Para 1911 Slim Hawg. I should have posted them earlier but I'm just learning how to use this online platform.
    Next I need to see if I can drift the rear sight slightly to the left to center my groups.
    4.jpg3.jpg

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Reichenbach View Post
    I've attached photos of my little single stack Para 1911 Slim Hawg. I should have posted them earlier but I'm just learning how to use this online platform.
    Next I need to see if I can drift the rear sight slightly to the left to center my groups.
    Unless the rear sight is visibly off center; you probably need to work on your grip and trigger press, rather than moving the rear sight.
    "Sights are for the unenlightened."

Rick

IDPA Certified Safety Officer
    Last edited by Rick McC.; 23rd October 2020 at 21:48.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast