Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: "COMMANDER" Rollmarks

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others
    The grip safety looks like one Colt used for a time in the 1990s. I have joked that the 90s is when Colt had what seemed like a "million and one" special editions. Below on a Gold Cup Commander which was shipped in July 1991. It is original except for the grip screws. The original slotted screws are in the box the pistol came in.

And another view....

And I did letter it. I was interested to find out if the checkered MSH, which is not metal was original. I was hoping to find out how many Colt made and the lady at Colt told me that might not be in the letter. It does mention the wide MSH though.

Anyway I have seen this grip safety on other Colts from the 1990s. Below are a couple "duckbill" grip safeties. One on a 2000 Compact (like an Officers ACP) and below on a 2002 Defender.

NRA Life Member
    Likes (2) :
    Poohgyrr (4th March 2021), Rick McC. (19th May 2021)

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick McC. View Post
    The grip safety doesn’t look like a duckbill to me. Based on the fitting, actually the lack thereof; it looks like one of the old Wilson “drop in” grip safeties to me.
    The Wilson drop-ins are more of a beavertail configuration. This looks like one of the no-name drop-in's Ive seen (and have a couple of) that are sold over various web sites. It's actually quite serviceable, and not nearly as ugly as that duckbill thing Colt used for several years. Like this one, which -- although described as "Colt" -- is not a Colt part:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1911-COLT-G...wAAOSwGQJfTVaA

Dakota1911's post suggests that Colt used such a grip safety at one time. I've never seen one from the factory, so this is another tid-bit for the knowledge base.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside
    Likes (1) :
    Rick McC. (19th May 2021)

Last edited by Hawkmoon; 13th May 2021 at 13:05. Reason: typo

Posts liked by others
    The grip safety in the COMMANDER I posted is more then likely a John Mason. Colt used the same style for their first venture into the wide grip safety market.
    The nice thing about this Colt / Mason type of wide grip safety it it is basically the same configuration as the standard grip safety, except it is a wide pattern and is made to use either the spur of Commander hammer.
    Virtually all of the current beavertail grip safeties require a Commander style hammer.

HPIM0307.JPG
    Ken
    "I like Colts and will die that way"
    "It seems to me that I have forgotten more than I remember"
    Likes (1) :
    Rick McC. (19th May 2021)

Posts liked by others
    Hawk; I’m sure that Dakota’s right, after seeing his picture.

I’d never seen a Colt GS like that before. It’s quite a bit different than the two Colts I’ve owned with the duck bill GS. Personally; ai like the looks of the duckbills better.
    "Sights are for the unenlightened."

Rick

IDPA Certified Safety Officer
    Last edited by Rick McC.; 18th October 2020 at 20:22.

Posts liked by others
    It is the Old Roll Mark (ORM) 1991 Commander. I had one in 45 Auto.

I wish I still had it!

Posts liked by others
    IMG_5428.JPG 2001 4012 xse
    Gun Control : The Ability to hit the target

Posts liked by others
    There was another one of these listed on Guns International for sale same rollmarks.
    Ken
    "I like Colts and will die that way"
    "It seems to me that I have forgotten more than I remember"
    Likes (1) :
    Mickey D (13th September 2022)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123