Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nighthawk Custom Drop-in Trigger System review

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others
    Blog Entries

Nighthawk Custom Drop-in Trigger System review

You may use this thread to discuss our review of this item in our E-zine.
    John Caradimas SV1CEC
    The M1911 Pistols Organization
    http://www.m1911.org
    Likes (2) :
    MuyModesto (2nd October 2020), Tedfs (25th June 2021)

Last edited by John; 27th September 2020 at 04:13.

Posts liked by others
    Much as I like all things Nighthawk, this drop in trigger is very expensive compared to Cylinder and Slide kits.
    The C&S kits are pretty much replace the factory parts, Bend the Sear leg of the spring to get the exact pull weight you want.
    Safety check and off to the range.
    Thumb safety may need replacement or refitting with either system.
    If the gun is made in specs this probably wron't be a issue.

The Nighthawk is more of a "Cassette" so if you have very little mechanical ability, maybe this is a better way to go.

But for my Money I rather have the Cylinder and Slide kits.

Posts liked by others
    I’ve been using Harrison Design Extreme Service ignition sets for several years, and, while not cheap, their total cost is less than the MSRP on the Nighthawk product.

That said; the drop in set-up would seem to be easier for the more “casual” 1911 owner.

Personally, the slender width of the hammer of the “kit” is an aesthetic show stopper for me.
    "Sights are for the unenlightened."

Rick

IDPA Certified Safety Officer
    Likes (1) :
    ncviking (4th October 2020)

Last edited by Rick McC.; 27th September 2020 at 11:18.

Posts liked by others
    Did two SA's with C&S kits number of years ago. Enjoy the results quite a bit with no issues at all. The safety did require fitting on both a loaded SA and the TRP. While I'm sure the Nighthawk product is great, the experience was a good one for me as I had little 1911 stripping experience. Actually seeing how everything works really helps understand the 1911 better. Whatever you decide or not, having good tools and work space is good idea prior to starting.
    Monty
    "slow is smooth and smooth is fast" Phil Dumphy

Posts liked by others
    Personally, I’ve never changed the hammer and sear on any 1911 without having to fit the existing thumb safety to the new parts. I’m thinking that may be the same with the Nighthawk setup.
    "Sights are for the unenlightened."

Rick

IDPA Certified Safety Officer

Posts liked by others
    I read that this unit can be installed even in a situation where the hammer & sear pin holes in the frame are "out of spec". How is that possible?

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by toolboxx View Post
    I read that this unit can be installed even in a situation where the hammer & sear pin holes in the frame are "out of spec". How is that possible?
    The Nighthawk drop-in capsule doesn't use solid pins.

DT10.jpg

The hammer and sear rotate on oversized, hollow "axles." The centerlines of both are made precisely to spec, but the holes are slightly oversize to allow for tolerance mismatch between the holes in the frame. This means that the actual hammer and sear pin don't affect the geometry of the fire control group, they just hold the capsule in the gun.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside
    Last edited by Hawkmoon; 16th October 2020 at 18:26.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkmoon View Post
    The hammer and sear rotate on oversized, hollow "axles." The centerlines of both are made precisely to spec, but the holes are slightly oversize to allow for tolerance mismatch between the holes in the frame. This means that the actual hammer and sear pin don't affect the geometry of the fire control group, they just hold the capsule in the gun.
    What if the frame holes are exactly on spec?

Wouldn't that allow the capsule to float around, since its holes are oversize?

-

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by megafiddle View Post
    What if the frame holes are exactly on spec?

Wouldn't that allow the capsule to float around, since its holes are oversize?

-
    Yes, it would. I've pondered that seeming paradox. But ... if the parts that need to be in proper alignment with one another are in proper alignment with one another, does it matter if the entire assembly can shift by a couple of thousandths of an inch?
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside

Posts liked by others
    Tar River Arms, in Wake Forest, NC had one of these kits in a Taurus. I am not sure if it was the install or the unit itself, but the trigger felt horrible to me. I had a good amount of creep. For the price, I would definitely go with the Harrison or C&S kits.
    Colt Series 70 Combat Commander (1972) Dad borrowed and won't give back :-(
    Colt Series 70 Government (1976)
    Colt Series 80 SS Gold Cup National Match (1994)
    Colt Series 80 SS Combat Commander (1993)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast