Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: Steel cases

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Steel cases

I recently came across some steel .45 ACP cases. They seem to be military, from the headstamp (WRA54)but I didn’t think our military ever used steel cases. The primer pockets don’t seem to be crimped. Here’s a pic. Any ideas?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Posts liked by others
    WWII era ammunition steel cased AND corrosive primed.

https://www.defensemedianetwork.com/...to-cartridges/
    Likes (1) :
    Rick McC. (20th September 2020)

Posts liked by others
    Thanks for the info. I would have thought that a 1954 headstamp would have been closer to Korean War production, but maybe it was the tail end of a production run, using materials at hand.
    Last edited by scattershot; 20th September 2020 at 08:07.

Posts liked by others
    seen a few

Posts liked by others
    WRA steel is unusual. From CMP

WRA EXCEPTIONS/Unusual Lots:
    Type: .45 ACP Ball (Steel Case) Lot Numbers 22000 - 22007 Date: June 1954
    If I recall, these were "mild" steel (reloadable) cases used for the 1955 National Matches, but don't hold my feet to the fire on this one! These are not to be confused with the WWII Steel Cases to be used (ONLY) in the United States for practice. The WWII stuff usually had purple primer sealant, and was produced to conserve brass during the war. All the WWII Steel Case .45 ACP IS corrosive.
    Likes (1) :
    PolyKahr (30th January 2021)