Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Trying to get a better understanding of how 1911 magazines work

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by mikemyers View Post

Attachment 5584

Is this because the magazine spring pressure is decreasing as round after round cycles through the gun?
    No. Spring pressure has little or nothing to do with where the bullet nose makes first contact. The variation is simply due to the amount of support given the front of the top round in the magazine when the slide starts forward after firing. Try this: take two magazines of the same type and fill one to its maximum and just put one round in the other. Place them side-by-side and examine them from the front. You should see something like this:

P(08)C040007c Barrel Ramp Design, Post 36.jpg

It's that gap under the top round in a full or nearly full magazine that allows its nose end to rotate down (to close the gap) when struck by the advancing slide. It's all due to the angle of the magazine well and there's absolutely nothing that can be done to eliminate that gap (and nose diving). As the magazine empties, the gap gets smaller and smaller and by the time there are, 3 or 4 rounds left in the magazine the gap is gone and nosediving diminishes.

But Les Baer makes good stuff and you shouldn't have jams with a 5" Premier II unless it's due to the reloads and/or magazines.

• Perform the test mentioned at the bottom of Post #6.
    • Try a standard Colt or Checkmate 7 round magazine.

If you intend on getting into NRA Conventional (Bullseye) shooting you only load 5 rounds at a time anyway. And your Magnus #801 looks like a clone of the H&G 130 SWC. It's essentially the same ogive as all the commercial SWCs I've ever seen and shot (Remington, Western, Federal, my home-cast SAECO 130s) and Petunia (my wadcutter gun) gobbles 'em up like M&Ms!
    When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it; but when you cannot measure it, when you cannot express it in numbers, your knowledge is of a meagre and unsatisfactory kind. [Lord Kelvin]
    Likes (1) :
    cosh (15th August 2020)

Last edited by niemi24s; 11th August 2020 at 14:59.

Posts liked by others
    Is this the article you are referring to? https://rangehot.com/1911-controlled-feed/
    I don't know, because your link won't load for me. That might be it -- the owner of the Range Hot web site used to be a member here, and most (if not all) of 1911Tuner's articles that appear on that site were lifted from here.

Since I can't see what you found, here are some links that might be of some help to you:

https://www.m1911.org//technic22.htm

https://www.m1911.org//technic21.htm

https://forum.m1911.org/showthread.p...ontrolled+feed
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside

'hawkmoon' - very strange, when I click on the link from your quote,
    https://rangehot.com/1911-controlled-feed/
    it opens with no problems. ....but...

When I click on the link from 'Niemi24s',
    Attachment 5587
    I get this error message: "Invalid Attachment specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator"

I see I have a lot more reading to do this evening. Thanks for sharing the links.

Posts liked by others
    When I click on the link from 'Niemi24s',
    Attachment 5587
    I get this error message: "Invalid Attachment specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator"
    I reloaded that image - see it now?
    When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it; but when you cannot measure it, when you cannot express it in numbers, your knowledge is of a meagre and unsatisfactory kind. [Lord Kelvin]

Posts liked by others
    I'll admit, I cringe a little every time I see reference to one of those "how-i-did-it" magazine articles. I appreciate all the work put into those articles (and the author is probably a forum member here - so my apologies), but the normal takeaway from those articles, by the typical reader, is avoid Wilson Combat mags because they lose controlled round feed. They may, and the author claims it, but doesn't prove it even in the second article with the frame by frame feeding pictures. However, if Wilson mags did lose controlled round feed, wouldn't it be an issue with all those folks at all those shooting schools, the USMC, etc. that use Wilson mags, and shoot at odd angles every day, and wouldn't they stop using them?

Folks will often read those articles and throw away all their Wilson mags, and migrate to another highly recommended 1911 mag, like Chip McCormick PowerMags or Tripp Research Cobra Mags since the article doesn't condemn their loss of controlled round feed. Of course they weren't included in the review, and they have the same wadcutter feed lips as the Wilson mags. As a matter of fact, nearly every 1911 mag uses wadcutter feed lips.

There may be some GI feed lipped mags out there, but as far as I know, CheckMate is the only current maker. The hybrid lip design is a Colt design for the 1980's or 1970's, and Metalform made them in the past, but CheckMate may be the only current producer of this style. Everybody else uses wadcutter feed lipped mags.

I'm not pushing Wilson mags, there are a lot of great mags out there, from a lot of great manufacturers, but if you've eliminated wadcutter feed lips from your selection options, you're going to be left with very few options.
    Last edited by JTQ; 14th August 2020 at 14:36.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12