Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for Colt 1911 slide

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Looking for Colt 1911 slide

Hi all. I hope one of you can help me. I have an early Colt ( SR # range 65000) and I am having a great deal of difficulty finding a slide that is correct for it. If anyone has one or can point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated. The slide I am looking for would have Feb. 14. 1911 as the last patent date and the Colt logo without the circle at the rear on the left side and MODEL OF 1911 U.S. ARMY on the right side. All markings should have serifs, as near as I can tell. If anyone has one or knows where I can find one please contact me. It would be nice to have this 106 year old weapon back in it's original configuration.

Thank you,

Ken

Posts liked by others
    I too have a 1911 (1918) that has spent at least a bunch of its 100+ Years with a 1914 era barrel And that is the Way I shall keep it during my remaining years. I was just given a 1911a1 that has mixed Colt parts, 44 frame and 39 Navy contract slide, it too will live the next many years in its current condition. I have a 1911 and 1911a1 ( my DCM pistol) that are correct so I have both disciplines covered. It’s is ok to have a GI pistol with mixed parts, most all of them do by this time.

Posts liked by others
    I have no problem with leaving it the way it is, but with the rest of it correct it seems a shame not to try.

Posts liked by others
    Finding a correct slide for that era pistol as I’m sure you have found is a “ slim and none” proposition. Good luck!

Posts liked by others
    It's probably like looking for a needle in a haystack, but it costs nothing to try!
    Originality can't be restored, so put "originality" at the top of a priority list. If JMB didn't put it on the 1911 you don't need it.

Posts liked by others
    I have no clue as to how hard it is to find a correct slide for that vintage of Colt. But I have seen later vintage parts on ebay and gunbroker. You probably have already looked there. And you probably know this too. But maybe a "saved search" on ebay that will send you emails when a listing that fits your description shows up. I've done that for specific knives and scopes.

Posts liked by others
    I know it will be difficult to find a correct slide. A large percentage of the original slides were probably scraped when they were replaced with later hardened ones during the overhaul process and there were probably less than eighty thousand to start with. That being said, it would be nice to bring it back to its original configuration if possible.

Posts liked by others
    I just read about the later hardened ones this a.m. It seems there is a lifetime of "stuff" to learn about the 1911/M1911A1. Fascinating to me. I like brain food.

Less than 80k originally. Yes, a very tall order. But definitely worth the Hunt! G'Luck!

Posts liked by others
    Not only will you need a slide but a correct marked barrel would cost several hundred dollars, I have a H marked barrel (1913-14) barrel in one of my 1917 Colt’s which is probably what you are going to need in your pistol to make it correct. The barrel is part of the pistol that served until Korea and brought back by a GI. I did not have the foresight to have him write of his Korea service before he passed on.

Posts liked by others
    I have located a slide. The pictures look good. It would be nice to know about its travels as it ended up in Canada. Your barrel is interesting. Could you post some pictures? I would like to see the markings and the bore.
    Thanks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast