Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: Barsto semi-fit barrel - help needed

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Barsto semi-fit barrel - help needed

I recently purchased a semi-fit Para P18 barrel and there are a few things I need help with.

The supplied bushing to slide (Para Ord) fit is a bit too tight – was wondering if I should evenly sand the outside diameter of the bushing, and/or file the bushing lug?

Using my current looser fitting bushing, the upper lugs of the barrel appeared to seat in the slide well, and the barrel hood seems to fit the slide as well.

The main problem I am having with the new barrel installed is that the slide will only go back about a quarter inch – it appears that the slide is not fulling unlocking. If I push down on the barrel hood, it will unlock.

Was wondering what areas to fit, as I cannot see anything definitive from using a black magic marker on the bearing surfaces?

Btw - I did contact Barsto, but Irv Stone is out for awhile on vacation.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Posts liked by others
    Is it safe to assume you've reviewed this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KeL4R0phqb8
    When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it; but when you cannot measure it, when you cannot express it in numbers, your knowledge is of a meagre and unsatisfactory kind. [Lord Kelvin]

Posts liked by others
    Thank you for your reply. Yes, I did review that video. Based on what Irv is saying, I believe I may need to adjust the underlug (the hood fit is fine; perfectly matches old barrel), as well as turn down the outside of bushing or get a new bushing. However, I am not sure; hence my post. I did contact Barsto, but they were not able to guide me because they said Irv was out of office for a week or two.

Additionally, the video does not go into specific detail as to how to perform these fittings, but I understand that I can do further research on this - I was just seeking some advice to get me started in the right direction.

Thanks,
    Jeff

Posts liked by others
    After initial assembly, there are two main reason why the slide won't go back more than ¼" out of battery: Link's too long; too much metal on the on the barrel lower lugs holding the barrel up too high.

• See if the link is the problem by removing it, assembling the gun minus the recoil spring, cocking the hammer, pulling the slide back slowly with the gun right side up and look/feel for any hesitation of the slide to come all the way back.

• Assuming the slide still hesitates to come freely out of battery means the link is not the problem and that metal needs to be removed from the barrels lower lugs.

• Get an idea for how much metal needs to be removed by using numbered drills or pin gauges as sequentially smaller substitutes for the slide stop cross pin until the barrel goes in and out of battery without hesitation. The difference in measured diameters between the cross pin and drill/pin gauge is about how much must be removed.

Q: About how much metal needs to be removed?
    When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it; but when you cannot measure it, when you cannot express it in numbers, your knowledge is of a meagre and unsatisfactory kind. [Lord Kelvin]
    Last edited by niemi24s; 7th August 2020 at 13:48.

Posts liked by others
    Thank you very much for your reply! I feel like I have all the info I need now - will follow the suggested steps and report on the results.

Jeff

Posts liked by others
    Barrel fitting instructions from Brownells can be found in our Tech Issues

Posts liked by others
    The reason I asked you to find out how much metal needed to be removed from the lower lugs (so the barrel would freely unlock from the slide) is (based on your description in Post #1) it doesn't sound like very much needs removing. If that's the case and you're fairly adept at free-hand metal work (such as draw filing with a round file) you might be able to dress down the lugs by hand and save the expense of the lug cutter sold by Brownells.

But hand-dressing by hand and getting both lugs to sit on the slide stop cross pin takes a bit of manual dexterity and the materials to make a fixture to hold the barrel and guide the file.

Here's how to best remove a stubborn link pin. . .

P(08)B280002b Barrel Link Pin Fit, Post 6.JPG

. . .except use a pin punch on the pin itself. The feeler guage prevents pounding the barrel lugs closer together. Of course the lower support for the lugs needs a recess for the pin.
    Last edited by niemi24s; 8th August 2020 at 17:12.