Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: P10 fail to feed

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by 1Sourdough View Post
    S' Okay, I cleaned the magazines and installed Wolff springs. Somehow ordered P14 rather than P13 springs for the long ones, and convincing them to get into the mags was really a challenge! Got proper springs, and they went in pretty easily. Wolff doesn't take them back once they've been out of their package, which I understand.

Still have the problem.
    That may be the problem. I don't think the springs are supposed to go in easily. I haven't replaced a magazine spring in a Para-Ordnance magazine for many years, but I do have a bunch of them in a box from when I was experimenting with their law enforcement extended bases a number of years ago. My fuzzy recollection is that the springs were not easy to get into the tubes.

Remember, the P10 is a 3-inch pistol -- the shortest length slide and barrel made for any 1911. And the short 1911s have historically had a reputation for being finicky. This is because the shorter slide and barrel have reduced travel, so things have to happen faster or the gun won't cycle. PLUS -- the recoil springs are much stiffer in the short guns than they are in a full-size Government model. All that adds up to there being less time for the magazine spring to push the next round up into the feed position before the slide starts forward again. If the round doesn't make it up into position, that's when you get the bolt-over-base misfeed -- which I believe is what you are experiencing.

Did you re-spring your original 10-round magazines, or only the 13-rounders? I would try stuffing a 14-round springs into one of the 13-round magazines and see if that makes a difference.

Noticed this weekend the slide barely clears the base of the top round.
    Clears it when/how? The slide shouldn't clear the base of the top round. If it clears it -- it can't possibly feed it.

Saw a thread about slide travel begun by TRX several years ago and checked this one. It latches at 1 5/8", with the breech far enough forward of the rear of the magazine well to feel the edge with my finger. A good, stiff pull brings it back maybe a scant 1/8" more. Is that about right for a P-10? TRX was getting 1.9" with his, and a reply said a Slim Hog (?) pulled to 1 3/4". That was at the latch, it seems, with 1/8" more to full retraction.
    I'll try to remember to pull out my P10 and take a photo.

Regarding the recoil spring assembly and insertion, It looks like there's pretty much only one way to put the assembly into the pistol.
    Correct.

I have noted the guide rod wants to slip off the link boss, and needs to be held in place while assembling the slide to the frame.
    I have no idea what this means. What is the "link boss"?
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside
    Last edited by Hawkmoon; 10th November 2020 at 00:09.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12