Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

Dear members,
Please make sure the email address we have for you, is correct and valid.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: P10 fail to feed

Posts liked by others

P10 fail to feed

I am finding there is a whole lot more to auto loaders than revolvers!

My recently bought P10 worked well the first time out to the range, so it was really surprising when it showed feeding problems this weekend. Two 10 round magazines came with the pistol, and I bought two additional Para-Ordnance 13 round magazines with the collars which adapt them to the P10 grip. They came in their original bubble packages, and seemed fine.

Both of them, and one of the 10 round magazines failed to strip rounds properly, the slide stopping when its lower front edge hit the sides of the cartridges. The bullet nose in each case was part way up the ramp, and the slide had ridden over the base of the cartridges. I have seen slides ride over cartridge bases before but not then take it partially to the chamber before binding.

Two times the affected cartridges were the third or fourth in the magazine, one time it was the first cart after inserting the magazine and racking the slide off the slide stop. I have read mentions of similar problems mentioned nearly in passing in several threads and suppose disassembling and cleaning the magazines will resolve the situation. Seems worthwhile to check on other possible causes while there are several days before the next range trip comes up.

Another item, the little locking tabs on the two original magazine base plates are bent back a bit, and don't hold the plates firmly in place. Are replacements from Remington the bestavailable, or does someone else market a better part?
    -30- Fred

Posts liked by others
    It's called a "bolt over base misfeed." Do a Google search on it.

My first suggestion is, since the gun worked before, make certain that the magazines are fully seated and locked in place.

If tjhat's not the problem, check the extractor tension. The good news is that you have a P10, not a Warthog, so you have a conventional 1911 extractor.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by 1Sourdough View Post
    The bullet nose in each case was part way up the ramp, and the slide had ridden over the base of the cartridges.
    As Hawkmoon said, this is a bolt-over-base malfunction. There are a number of possible causes including failure of the slide to move fully to the rear as a result of too strong of a recoil spring for the ammo being used.

Bolt-over-base malfunctions can also be caused by a magazine spring that isn't strong enough to lift the column of rounds up into solid contact with the underside of the magazine feed lips fast enough to be in position to be engaged by the onrushing slide. Your magazine spring should be replaced with a Wolff +10% extra power spring.

It's not uncommon for folks with these shorty 1911s to fit an EGW or Harrison flat bottom firing pin stop to slow the rearward velocity of the slide to allow the use of a lighter than standard recoil spring thus slowing the forward velocity of the slide to allow enough time for the magazine spring to lift the next round into position.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by 1Sourdough View Post
    Another item, the little locking tabs on the two original magazine base plates are bent back a bit, and don't hold the plates firmly in place. Are replacements from Remington the bestavailable, or does someone else market a better part?
    Not really, unless you replace them with Para's own extended basepads, as shown here:
    https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/1371120

(note that those finger-like things protruding into the mag body's sides are a separate component, that would be removed when installing the pad on a .45 Auto mag like yours)

Numrich also has the pads you currently have on the list, somewhere, but they're out of stock. Beyond that, there are more competition-style pads out there, since Para's magazine body width is the same as that of STI mags, and everyone and their brother is making aftermarket parts for those. Some look OK, many don't.

I have a P18.9 and I think my mags have the same pads you have. They do occasionally sit a bit proud of the mag body's lip, when the magazine is full. No bases have ever slipped on me, though.
    Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
    M. Setter

Posts liked by others
    Thanks, Spyros;
    I would never have looked twice at those pads because they do not have the latch tab at the rear of the pad. I have used magazines with the push-button latch in the center but don't even recall on what sort of pistol. Wouldn't have made the connection. I will keep the thought of stronger springs in mind as well.

When the magazine springs were pulled to allow inspecting the interiors, I noticed the 10 round and 13 round magazine springs have the same number of turns, which really surprised me. Is that normal, or ought the higher capacity mag have a spring which is a turn or two longer?
    -30- Fred

Posts liked by others
    It's hard to say with springs, especially when we don't know how old each gun/magazine is. Maybe the wire in the coils of the 13-rounders is thicker or otherwise... stouter.

By the way, those pads I linked to are probably going to add a round or two in your mags, so if you get them make sure the mags are still reliable with the existing springs. For a full-size Para they'd be OK, but with the shorter mags, margins of error get smaller everywhere.
    Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
    M. Setter