Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

Dear members,
Please make sure the email address we have for you, is correct and valid.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: Wanting info on .40S&W 1992 Colt 1911

Posts liked by others

Wanting info on .40S&W 1992 Colt 1911

I bought a Colt MK IV Series 80 1911 in .40S&W. I was told it was made in 1992 and was a short production. I would appreciate any information you can give me about it. Thank you.

Posts liked by others
    I have no knowledge, but I would enjoy a picture or two. Sounds like a rare model. I've never seen one in .40S&W

Posts liked by others
    You can call Colt Customer Service and give them the serial number. They should be able to tell you when it was made, and perhaps a little bit more.

800-962-COLT (2658)

Please post back if you find out anything.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside

Posts liked by others
    You can look at Walt's model number list....

http://www.1911timewarp.com/ModelNumbers.htm

As to how many were made? Good luck. I even got a letter on my Gold Cup Commander and it did not say how many were made and the lady told me it might not when I ordered it.
    NRA Life Member

Posts liked by others
    It needed a little work but here it is now. And thanks for the links and phone number.

colt1.jpg

colt2.jpg
    Likes (1) :
    BrettID (21st July 2020)

Last edited by Accept; 20th July 2020 at 15:57.

Posts liked by others
    Is that a flat rib on the top of the slide? That should make it some sort of "Enhanced" model.
    Hawkmoon

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkmoon View Post
    Is that a flat rib on the top of the slide? That should make it some sort of "Enhanced" model.
    Hawk - I'll just chime in and yes that is an Enhanced Model. I had a Colt Defender in .40S&W. It was a very reliable and accurate pistol and am sorry to have sold it.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Ric4509 View Post
    Hawk - I'll just chime in and yes that is an Enhanced Model. I had a Colt Defender in .40S&W. It was a very reliable and accurate pistol and am sorry to have sold it.
    Today's carry gun is a Colt Lightweight Officers ACP Enhanced.
    Hawkmoon
    Likes (2) :
    Ric4509 (22nd July 2020), Rick McC. (21st July 2020)

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkmoon View Post
    It also has an "E" suffix in the serial number, which is consistent with an Enhanced model.

The thumb safety is not original. Wilson Combat. The aftermarket slide stop is probably from the same source as well. I think the grip safety is a newer type than what Colt would have been using in the mid 1990s (it took them a while to "adopt" the memory pad) but I can't be sure. Also, I'd like to see a better picture of the barrel bushing, which seems to protrude more than the plug, so maybe it's double-thick.
    Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
    M. Setter

Posts liked by others
    It has a flat rib on top. It had an LPA sight when I bought it and I sent it to Novak and had white dot sights installed. I took the original ambi-thumb safety and slide stop off and replaced them with Wilson parts. The beavertail is original. It had light scratches so I had my gunsmith brush the whole gun. The serial number starts with GF and ends with E.