Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: Looking for Instructor Database

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Looking for Instructor Database

If any of you are an NRA instructor or a teacher of any sort, I'd like to know if you can point me toward any Access or Libre Office Base databases for keeping track of student data and courses, by date, student enrollment, and pass/fail or point score grades.

Thanks for any help. Time for me to come out of the Stone Age.

Posts liked by others
    NRA will have records
    States requiring training will have records
    L/E agencies will have records
    Larger private training centers will have records
    There isn't a central data base which is a good thing!!!!!!

Smiles,

Posts liked by others
    Was that supposed to be helpful? I'm asking a serious question because I need help, not snark.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by jjfitch View Post
    NRA will have records
    States requiring training will have records
    L/E agencies will have records
    Larger private training centers will have records
    There isn't a central data base which is a good thing!!!!!!

Smiles,
    I believe that the OP was looking for info from other trainers about their experience with a database that he could use for his training business...
    "Sights are for the unenlightened."

Rick

IDPA Certified Safety Officer
    Last edited by Rick McC.; 14th July 2020 at 21:35.

Posts liked by others
    I thought I was answering your "serious question"! "Snark", really! Maybe if you restate you question that would "be helpful"!

I'm a POST Certified Instructor and NRA Instructor in multiple disciplines including reloading. I've been an instructor for 25 or more years and have written my own syllabus, outlines and have a video library. I have numerous outlines and training material I've collected over the years as well as a video library for use, depending on the needs of the student population.

I have over 6,000 posts on another more friendly 1911 forum I think I'll go back there!

Good Luck!
    Last edited by jjfitch; 14th July 2020 at 23:08. Reason: Syntax

Posts liked by others
    I don't see how my question could be any clearer. I am looking for a database template for either Access or Libre Office Base that tracks NRA classes and students who attend those classes. What part of that did you not understand? (All of it, apparently.)

Rick McC understood. I am actually rather surprised that such a database doesn't seem to exist. I have spent (literally) hours searching the Internet for Access templates that might do this task, which I thought was fairly uncomplicated. The closest I've come was a template that's apparently intended for use in operating a high school with a student population numbering in the thousands. It's full of fields for parents' or guardians' names, addresses, and contact information; food allergies; demerits; classroom participation notes; extracurricular activities; and about ten bazillion other parameters that an NRA instructor has no need of. I installed that one, and uninstalled it within the space of half an hour.
    Last edited by Greywolf; 14th July 2020 at 23:31.

Posts liked by others
    I’m also surprised that you haven’t run across something more user friendly than that yet.

What about an attorney database to track clients, court dates, billable hours, etc.? Something along those lines would have to be better than what you’ve found so far.
    "Sights are for the unenlightened."

Rick

IDPA Certified Safety Officer
    Last edited by Rick McC.; 15th July 2020 at 20:15.

Posts liked by others
    Mr. McC --

I'm not even going to look. Here's what I have been finding out since I started looking for a database template that I can adapt:

THEY DON'T EXIST! What that means required learning a bit more about Access, and templates. In the old days (going back 20 years or so), professional Access developers could create a database and then somehow compile the whole mess into an .EXE file that was distributed to the end users just like any free-standing program. The users could run the program, add and delete data (records) and such … but they couldn't get at the structure of the database to make any changes to it.

I don't know if there is still a way for developers to do that. (There probably is.) What I have found about the templates that are available on-line is that there's a sort of middle ground. Access has a feature that allows anyone to "compile" a database into a new file with the extension .MDE. This is what the templates are, and an .MDE file is like the old, compiled .EXE files in that the end user can run the database, but he/she can't make any changes to the database structure. The difference is that the .MDE file requires that the end user have either Access or the Access runtime module (which is a free download from Microsoft) to be installed on the computer.

So I can't find a ready-made template that's close to what I need, and make changes to it. So I'm forced to start from scratch and create my own.
    Likes (1) :
    Rick McC. (16th July 2020)