Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Seeking advice on what to consider with a safety issue

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Frgood View Post
    Thank you being stuck in the house for 6 months. I think I've committed my biggest D'OH so far.

Hang in there buddy!

My range just reopened for limited days a few weeks ago.
    "Sights are for the unenlightened."

Rick

IDPA Certified Safety Officer

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Ric4509 View Post
    The same thing happened to my friend's 1911 RIA FS 9mm. He wanted to change the thumb safety and also the grip safety. He showed me his pistol and what the problem was. I pressed on the GS and the sear spring was weak. All it needs was to replace the factory GS.
    That sounds more like the sear spring leg needed to be adjusted, or the sear spring replaced, rather than the grip safety.

Rick

Posts liked by others
    You need to find a way to repeat the problem, you don't have to go to shoot the gun to do that. Recently I was diagnosing Hi Power for intermittent "no shooting" problem. It turned out to be safety problem.

Posts liked by others
    I resolved the issue by pinning the grip safety of this competition only pistol.

Posts liked by others
    I resolved the issue by pinning the grip safety of this competition only pistol.
    I do not think that's a good idea to pin the GS for safety reasons even though your pistol is for competition only. If I were you I'd remove the sear spring in one of your 1911s and try it on your only for competition pistol to test if that's the issue.

Posts liked by others
    The issue has been pretty much confirmed and is definitely the result of a in-competition draw when I ride the thumb safety.

I am going to avoid the pining/safety debate as that has been hashed and rehashed pretty thoroughly. This gun has a single purpose - for Steel Challenge Only.

Posts liked by others
    The issue has been pretty much confirmed and is definitely the result of a in-competition draw when I ride the thumb safety.
    If that's the case am I to assume that your thumb safety is not properly installed?

Posts liked by others
    I'm a southpaw with short fingers. The thumb safety is spot-on.

Posts liked by others
    I'm a southpaw with short fingers. The thumb safety is spot-on.
    When we had our first Threat Focused Pistol course with Brownie those “more than a few years ago;” I don’t remember you being a southpaw. It seems like I remember you shooting a Sig, but that’s about it.

That said; I was dealing with Pneumonia and my back being seriously “out” that weekend. The pneumonia was a 10 week long experience in itself. It was still one heck of a life changing weekend anyway...

Rick

Last edited by Rick McC.; 6th October 2020 at 20:15.

Posts liked by others
    I used to play golf right handed and hockey was always a challenge as right handed sticks were far more prevalent.

But 1911's definitely are right-handed bent and I'm definitely a lefty. The SIG P250 is my EDC and is balanced very well for ambidextrous use. 1911s? Now these, on occasion can prove interesting. Having said that my USPSA pistol evolution was the CZ 75, CZ-85, and finally the Tactical Sport. The TS requires an immediate ambi thumb safety replacement and is where I developed the riding the safety as the geometry of the TS allows one to flick the safety on and off from the topside.

However, a couple of months back, during a practice, I found severe pain with several 2011s I had been working on and grabbed a half dozen folks to compare hand and beavertail contours. Most had similar pressure indications on their inside thumb, both left and right handed folks. There is also a tendency for callous formation to mitigate any pain. As a result, I'm changing my grip to not ride the safety on 1911s and 2011s. That seemed clearly the issue as riding the safety distorts the grip engagement given regardless of beavertail and grip safety width.

A noted sidebar is that most competition 2011s use a disengaged grip safety as variation in one's draw occasionally hinders function. Hence, the technique of pining or grinding the the safety to be inactive solely for USPSA and Steel challenge. Game rules dictate no alteration to the thumb safety. That, must be fully functional and is used procedurally (for example starts on open hammer require the thumb safety to be engaged).

For defensive use, standard, production practice applies and I find it easy to maintain a distinction as competition is a specific set of techniques used when engaged in the sport. Whereas, in everyday use, the gun is used as an everyday device. I find similar distinction when hunting vs. precision shooting.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast