Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: 1911 9mm

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

1911 9mm

I am wondering how many of you EDC a 1911 in 9mm for self defense? And if you are under gunned?
    i currently have a Kimber Pro Carry II WITH 4” bbl that I am thinking to switch as my EDC and wanted to know you guys thoughts.

Posts liked by others
    I currently carry a 9mm Wilson Professional, which is a 1911 with a four inch slide and barrel on a FS grip frame. It’s basically a Commander sized 1911 with a 1/4” shorter slide and barrel.

I’ve shot the gun in IDPA competition for over 10 years, and have trained extensively with it. I made some upgrades to the pistol a few months ago to make it suitable for carry (in my opinion), and don’t feel “under gunned” with carrying it at all.
    "Sights are for the unenlightened."

Rick

IDPA Certified Safety Officer

Posts liked by others
    Thanks for the helpful insight and information

Posts liked by others
    I occasionally carry my full length Colt stainless 1911 in 9mm. The right load's make's a 9mm a good carry option. 9mm has come a long way. 9 round's in the mag + 1 in the pipe!
    I carry my Colt lightweight commander in 45 acp more than I do the 9mm. I don't feel outgunned with good hollow point. A loaded back up magazine or two could not hurt!

Posts liked by others
    Thanks for all of your input. I have a Kimber Pro Carry II with FS grip, 4”bbl that I have approximately 600 rounds through. I had issues with jams the first couple hundred rounds. A guy at the range advised me as to where to lube it and I followed his advice, and the last four hundred ran without a hiccup. It now runs like a dream. On another forum the “experts” say that they shoot a 9mm but EDC a 45 for self defense. I guess that you can tell that I don’t have a lot of experience with a 1911. But I have always liked them and they are a lot easier to conceal due to the size and weight of the aluminum fram. I think that I’m going to switch to the 9 for EDC, THANKS.

Posts liked by others
    The choice between 9mm and 45 ACP has nothing to do with 1911s ... it's an ammunition/caliber choice, nothing more, nothing less. As has already been commented, the ammo makers have put a lot of R&D into 9mm ammunition, and today it's certainly a viable option for self defense.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside
    Likes (1) :
    Sergio Natali (9th July 2020)

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by PATS View Post
    I occasionally carry my full length Colt stainless 1911 in 9mm. The right load's make's a 9mm a good carry option. 9mm has come a long way. 9 round's in the mag + 1 in the pipe!
    I carry my Colt lightweight commander in 45 acp more than I do the 9mm. I don't feel outgunned with good hollow point. A loaded back up magazine or two could not hurt!
    I use second gen 9mm Wilson ETMs; which give me 10+1 rounds on board, along with two 10 round reloads.
    "Sights are for the unenlightened."

Rick

IDPA Certified Safety Officer
    Last edited by Rick McC.; 6th July 2020 at 20:38.

Posts liked by others
    Pats - looking for some insight. If you carry a Colt in 9mm and are comfortable with its performance, why do you carry your light weight 45 more often?

Posts liked by others
    I guess because it's smaller and lighter than the 5 inch Colt 9mm. I like them both very much. There is no disputing that a 45acp is a better self defense round. I guess I like a little rotating in my carry firearms.