Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

Happy Fathers Day

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FMJ Ave JHP usage in 1911 45

Posts liked by others

FMJ Ave JHP usage in 1911 45

I have a Kimber Crimson Ultra Carry II 1911 .45 cal. In the owners manual it states that usage of ammo other then RN FMJ voids the warranty. It does seem to cycle the RN FMJ rounds better than JHP rounds.
    I have read and heard from the conceal carry instructor that using any FMJ ammo you risk over penetration and hitting an unintended target. Which can screw up your entire life.
    so my question to the experts and folks with more experience then myself is this; for those of you out there that prefer thr FMJ .45 for EDC and self defense, are you concerned about over penetration? And what ammo do you use instead to help prevent this and still get reliable cycling in your 3Ē barrel .45?
    any thoughts on this will be greatly appreciated.

Posts liked by others
    I only carry JHP. Whatever problems your Kimber has with them may be solved by switching magazines. Nobody can tell you with certainty which mag will work best in your pistol. All you can do is buy one example from each manufacturer, test them, then buy more of the one that works best in your pistol. Tripp, Check-Mate, Wilson, and McCormick are the big names in the 1911 magazine world.

Does your pistol have a full size or a compact frame? Is the frame aluminum or steel?

Posts liked by others
    It is aluminum compact fram. I have been using Kimber mags. And Kimber pro tac mags.
    thanks

Posts liked by others
    Sorry I'm not answering your question directly but perhaps my ramblings will be of some value anyway.

FMJ bullets tend to deflect easier than JHP which tend to cut their way through things rather than be deflected. Forensic terminal ballistics is a huge and complicated subject filled with real life contradictions but generally speaking stopping a bad guy is best achieved by using JHP ammo. There are many exceptions.

I don't use +P ammo.

It may be that Kimber mandates the use of FMJ ammo to avoid possible damage to the frame feed ramp caused by the sharp edges of JHP ammo. FWIW, my aluminum frame 1911s all have EGW steel frame ramp inserts to prevent possible frame ramp damage.

A word about magazines. Flush fit magazines for compact frame 1911s were originally designed to hold six rounds. I never load more than six into these magazines even though the manufacturer may have modified them to hold seven. I could go on at length to explain why but it would be easier to simply provide a link to a post where you can read about this. https://forum.m1911.org/showthread.p...ow-do-I-fix-it

FWIW, I carry my compact frame 1911s with flush fit mags holding six rounds. For my backup reload mags I use eight round extended magazines meant for use in full size frames but modified to prevent over-insertion in compact frames. You can read about them here: https://forum.m1911.org/showthread.p...compact-frames
    Last edited by Steve in Allentown; 5th July 2020 at 09:01.

Posts liked by others
    Thank you for the information. I will try what you suggest on the magazines.

Posts liked by others
    Your post basically narrows down to two simple questions:

Quote Originally Posted by LeeR1911 View Post
    for those of you out there that prefer thr FMJ .45 for EDC and self defense, are you concerned about over penetration? And what ammo do you use instead to help prevent this and still get reliable cycling in your 3” barrel .45?
    1. I don't know or know of anyone who prefers to carry FMJ rather than JHP. I doubt you will get many anwers to question #1.

2. Remington Golden Saber. It runs reliably in my 3-1/2" Colt Officers ACP and in my 3" Para Slim Hawg.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside

Posts liked by others
    When the New York PD went to the 9mm Glock 19, they issued FMJ. They were not going to have any evil hollowpoints.
    Bad guy got shot. The bullets went through the bad guys and hit inocent bystanders. Lawsuits started.
    They now issue Speer Gold dot 124 gr +P 9mm.

So I would advise using hollowpoint ammo for self defense.
    I suggest loads made for short barrel guns.
    Speer Gold Dot 230 gr. Short Barrel
    Hornady critical defense.

The Hornady round might be the the ticket.
    It's a 185 gr. round with low recoil, very accurate and the bullet is a hollowpoint with a rubber plug so the round is barrier blind.
    Likes (1) :
    JD11 (5th July 2020)

Last edited by T-TAC; 4th July 2020 at 20:14.

Posts liked by others
    The Winchester White Box 230gr HP ammo isn’t too pricey, and has always fed in any 1911s I’ve ever shot it through, including a 3.3” Sig Ultra, and a 3” Kimber Ultra CDP II.

Whatever ammo you use in your Kimber, but sure that it’s 100% reliable. I’d use ball ammo any day over HP that won’t feed reliably.
    "Sights are for the unenlightened."

Rick

IDPA Certified Safety Officer
    Likes (1) :
    LarryM (15th September 2020)

Posts liked by others
    Thanks for the helpful information

Posts liked by others
    I have a Kimber Crimson Ultra Carry II 1911 .45 cal. In the owners manual it states that usage of ammo other then RN FMJ voids the warranty.
    I've got one too, but I sure don't recall reading that in my manual. Without dragging the manual out, I think they DO mention reloads (which I shoot) can void the warranty which only makes sense. Kimber has no control over powder usage by the reloader.
    For concealed carry self defense I use Hornady Critical Defense jacketed HPs. I've only target shot 7 rounds of them, but my Ultra fed and digested them fine.
    Last edited by JD11; 5th July 2020 at 10:22.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast