Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

Dear members,
Please make sure the email address we have for you, is correct and valid.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Colt 1911C Series 70 Dust Cover Anomaly

Posts liked by others
    It is sad when one needs to inspect even a new 1911 like it is a used one. One reason I do not like to order them over the intergoogle to save a few $$. Things have gotten better in recent years at Colt but I think the "Monday morning and Friday afternoon" guns are still there.
    NRA Life Member

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by thetonyque View Post
    I tried to degrease and clean the dust cover thoroughly, and it will not come off. If you run your finger down the pattern, it is actually grooved, so something definitely etched into it during production. I also have done a lot of research and have seen other 1911s with similar issues, but mine seems to be a bit extreme.

I tried looking up the serial number, but it comes up with nothing on that page. If I search the number, the only 1911 it shows is one made in 1912, which obviously mine was not, so not sure what's up there, or if they have a different system for managing the new series serial numbers.

Again, I really appreciate all the input guys! Seems like it's something that should be covered with Colt, but we'll see!
    Colt warrants cosmetic issues for one year, and that definitely qualifies.
    "Sights are for the unenlightened."

Rick

IDPA Certified Safety Officer

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by dakota1911 View Post
    It is sad when one needs to inspect even a new 1911 like it is a used one. One reason I do not like to order them over the intergoogle to save a few $$. Things have gotten better in recent years at Colt but I think the "Monday morning and Friday afternoon" guns are still there.
    The only guns I’ve bought online have been a Baer and a Wilson. I had no choice since neither are available locally.
    "Sights are for the unenlightened."

Rick

IDPA Certified Safety Officer

Posts liked by others
    UPDATE:

After finally getting ahold of Colt, they said that if it were covered under warranty, that the turn around time would be pretty insane, so I decided to sell it. I'll get another one at some point, and be sure to do a more thorough inspection this time! Thanks again for all the help guys.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12