Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: AR 180, FNC, AR-70, Steyr AUG, Mini-14 or Sig .223 Rifle?

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

AR 180, FNC, AR-70, Steyr AUG, Mini-14 or Sig .223 Rifle?

Hi everyone!

I am trying to decide on a 5.56mm / .223 semi-auto rifle that has a true folding stock and scope mount. Not interested in an AR as they don't fold, and not looking for another AK. I seem to have narrowed it down to:

Armalite AR 180 (not AR 180B)
    FN FNC
    Beretta AR-70
    Ruger Mini-14
    Sig 550/551/556
    Steyr AUG
    HK SL8 / G-36
    Robinson Arms XCR
    Para Ordnance Folding AR style rifle
    FN P 90
    Tavor

Already have an HK-93.

Does anyone own or have you owned the above? What were any problems you had? What did you like. Price isn't so much a factor as quality and reliability.

Thanks for you time.

Posts liked by others
    I have had a few of the Ruger mini's. Zero problems, found magazines to be expensive & hard to get.
    Shoot well enough for me to use a patrol rifle. That was the police/ government model with folding stock & bayonet lug. That was a long time ago.

Posts liked by others
    Thanks for your input, Norton. I am strongly considering the Ruger because:

I like the folding stock
    I like stainless
    Ruger makes quality.
    I can mount a scope.
    Small size.

Posts liked by others
    Look at the Daewoo K2 (AR100). One of the best out there.
    Last edited by GDavis223; 27th August 2020 at 10:39.

Posts liked by others
    I bought two non-folding stainless Mini 14's in the early '80's. One for my Dad and one for me. As was our practice then, we decided to shoot them without cleaning until they malfunctioned. After 3000+ rounds, neither had failed. I felt bad about how filthy they had gotten and we ended that test! However, they were not very accurate. I hear that has improved. Both eventually fired tens of thousands of rounds with zero issues. Traded mine for an Ithaca 1911. I don't know what happened to Dad's. It disappeared when I brought an FN-FAL home from Germany as a gift for him. I still have it...

Posts liked by others
    I have a stainless mini-14 with folding stock back in the early ‘80’s that I used to hunt whitetail deer in the swamp.

Making head shots with the iron sights was no problem.
    "Sights are for the unenlightened."

Rick

IDPA Certified Safety Officer