Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Guide Rod Bushing immobile

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by niemi24s View Post
    No sweat! Just wanted to emphasize that those Army Ordnance drawings are the only true ones for the M1911A1 Gov't Model and the special parts for the National Match models. Their only problem is that some of them can be a little difficult to see and read. Several folks have tried to correct that problem by coming up with their own versions. However, these ersatz version seem to have problems of their own even though they look real nice. One example is shown below. Can you or (anyone else) find the problem with it?
    I am most certainly not qualified to answer this question

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by niemi24s View Post
    However, these ersatz version seem to have problems of their own even though they look real nice. One example is shown below. Can you or (anyone else) find the problem with it?
    Well the bend direction appears to have been corrected, so no.
    Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
    M. Setter

Posts liked by others
    Another drawing by the same person contains at least three errors. See if you can find them.

Benson_Slide_Stop.jpg

In fairness to the author, he did later correct the errors. But it took more than five years before that happened.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside

Posts liked by others
    I see a dimension that I remember differently, but I'd rather not say without looking it up.

To be fair... the army's own blueprints were still getting revised (read: corrected) around 8 decades, give or take a week, after the gun was adopted. They may be the only M1911/M1911A1 drawings we have, but they're not great. It's worth remembering that unlike the philosophical "chicken Vs egg" existential problem, in this case we know the pistol came several years before the [first usable] drawings did -- and they were reverse-engineered from the pistol.

Going back to the drawings, IMHO if someone sees fit to devote what must be untold hours upon hours to come up with something that is a bit easier to work with and offer it to the world for free, it's probably a good idea to thank them and politely offer constructive feedback, where appropriate.
    Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
    M. Setter

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Spyros View Post
    Going back to the drawings, IMHO if someone sees fit to devote what must be untold hours upon hours to come up with something that is a bit easier to work with and offer it to the world for free, it's probably a good idea to thank them and politely offer constructive feedback, where appropriate.
    That was done here on this site several years ago when it was pointed out that the arrow showing the extractor bend direction was wrong. Mr. Benson replied that he was correct and that we were wrong. I immediately lost all interest in his drawings. My sole use for 1911 parts drawings is for the dimensions and when I find a dimensional error (one that differs from the Army Ordnance one) this casts doubt on the the accuracy of all the dimensions in an ersatz set of drawings - no matter how pretty they look.

So even with the checkered history of the M1911A1 and its Ordnance blueprints, they're the only ones I use for a source of dimensions. I even pay Picatinny Arsenals high fees for PDFs of some 1911 blueprints not otherwise available, just to get the data from what I consider the only reliable source - even if they don't look real pretty. I've never had any reason to doubt them and have found errors in versions by others such as Kuhnhausen and Benson.

P.S.: Even though the extractor bend direction arrow has been corrected on the drawing in Post #19, there's still something wrong with it.
    When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it; but when you cannot measure it, when you cannot express it in numbers, your knowledge is of a meagre and unsatisfactory kind. [Lord Kelvin]
    Last edited by niemi24s; 10th July 2020 at 13:20.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123