Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Remington Rand "find"

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others
    Odd, a couple pics in the previous post are upside down. Probably something to do with my "skills" with uploading pics.

My apologies if I'm wasting site resources with pictures of a travesty.
    Attachment 5466Attachment 5467Attachment 5468Attachment 5469Attachment 5470

Posts liked by others
    Sorry about the upside down pics. Drives me crazy.
    Attachment 5471Attachment 5472Attachment 5473Attachment 5474Attachment 5475

Posts liked by others
    Now where did that go?

Attachment 5476

Oh, here it is.....

Attachment 5477

Posts liked by others
    If you gave it to me with the provision that I had to use it, I would get the barrel properly fitted, the ejector pinned, and some usable sights NOT requiring heavy machining.
    I would dig the epoxy out of the scope mount holes and just be proud of them; lots of "modern" guns with superfluous holes all over.

As an old article on sporterizing military surplus rifles said, "you have to work with what is there."
    Likes (1) :
    BrettID (30th June 2020)

Posts liked by others
    Some of my most favorite guns in my "collection" are those that have a tale to tell. They don't have to be rare, collectible, fancy, or exotic to recieve the distinction of being on the favorites list. At the top of the list is Grandpa's Remington Model 81 Woodsmaster, in 35 Remington, 4 digit serial number, bought new in 1938. Down the list from there follows my first gun that Santa brought when I was 12. Then my first handgun, then many more rifles and handguns. Some, I do remember what it felt like to pull the trigger for the first time.

The question for me to answer is, should this Remington Rand land somewhere in my collection? If it does, will it make "the list"?

I can guess where the tale begins, sometime in May of '44 in NY. Where it went from there is anybody's guess. Whose finger pulled that trigger for the first time? Who was it issued to? Where did it travel? European or Pacific theater? Did it see combat? Did it fire upon the enemy? All questions that the Remington Rand only knows for certain.

I do know that at some point in the Remington Rand 1911's existence it ended up in the posession of a good friend's recently departed younger brother. Who wasn't much older than I am right now. That part saddens me. At 51 I would hope I have many years ahead to build memories with others and expend a mountain of ammo.

From what I know of the younger brother, he was a gun nut. Much like me. He tasted many flavors of firearms throughout the years as told to me by his older brother, my good friend. They spanned from single shot 45-70's to AR's, AK's, Ruger revolvers and Number 1's and also a semi-auto 12 gauge that was described by my friend as looking like a Tommy gun with a drum magazine the size of a coffee can. Now his guns are silent. His memory will have to live through friends and family.

One thing about this Remington Rand 1911 that my good friend told me, was that out of all his brothers guns. This gun was near or at the top of his "list" of favorites. For after his passing the family had to gain acess to a small safe. In that small safe were coins, curios and other items he considered special or valuable. Amongst the "stuff" in that safe was only one gun. The Remington Rand 1911. Another curiosity mentioned to me was the younger brothers ammo stash. He must have shot a lot, because it wasn't very large. He didn't leave much behind in the way of ammo for the many guns he had. Save for one caliber. The only gun in his collection of that caliber. The younger brother had over 800 rounds of 45 ACP that he never got to shoot.

When I disassembled the Remington Rand I noticed remnants of paint and also poorly executed engraving of flames on the front grip. Some red, some gold. The younger brother wasn't known for gaudy things. So he must have received the 1911 this way. My guess is he cleaned the odd colors off as an attempt to reveal some semblance of former glory this 1911 may have had.

Why did the younger brother like this odd looking 1911? At this time the older brother does not know. The disassembly and close inspection of this Remington Rand was a journey and wonderment for me. I told my good friend of the journey and of my list of favorites and how they come to be on my list.

I made my good friend an offer yesterday evening. He accepted and thanked me. The sale of his younger brothers guns are going to help pay for funeral expenses. In a couple of weeks a memorial car show is going to be held in the younger brothers honor. Cars, another passion the younger brother and I share(ed). At the event my good friend intends on asking his younger brothers friends if they know anything about the Remington Rand and his brothers affinity for it. My good friend is hoping to add to the tale of the Remington Rand that now belongs to me.
    Likes (1) :
    Rick McC. (1st July 2020)

Last edited by BrettID; 30th June 2020 at 11:00.

Posts liked by others
    There was a time when the Department of Civilian Marksmanship (predecessor of today's CMP) and the NRA were selling off military surplus 1911s for $25 each. They were cheap and plentiful, and the 1911 at that time had not achieved the collector attraction that it now enjoys. Consequently, many shooters bought them and thought nothing of customizing them into whatever was their dream pistol. It's plausible that this pistol was purchased from the NRA/DCM program by competitive shooter who then proceeded to replace the barrel and add the bracket for some sort of scope. The supposition about the scope is perhaps reinforced by the fact that the sights are still the original M1911A1 open sights, which are -- by today's standards -- shall we say "less than optimal."

Your friend's brother may have bought the gun from that person, or from that person's estate. It's possible that it was your friend's brother who remove the scope platform and epoxied the holes.

With newer technology, those holes could be filled by TIG welding, then very carefully machined and stoned flush without removing the rollmarks. If the engraving on the front strap isn't too deep, it may be possible to get rid of it by patiently polishing it with strips of emery cloth, using a motion like using a length of cloth to polish a shoe. Then you could have the whole frame reparkerized.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside
    Likes (1) :
    Rick McC. (1st July 2020)

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkmoon View Post
    There was a time when the Department of Civilian Marksmanship (predecessor of today's CMP) and the NRA were selling off military surplus 1911s for $25 each.

With newer technology, those holes could be filled by TIG welding, then very carefully machined and stoned flush without removing the rollmarks. If the engraving on the front strap isn't too deep, it may be possible to get rid of it by patiently polishing it with strips of emery cloth, using a motion like using a length of cloth to polish a shoe. Then you could have the whole frame reparkerized.
    A family friend passed years ago and I got a bunch of his books, in one he had stuffed between the pages a receipt for a 1911 dated sometime in 1961 for that program. The word "unserviceable" was used and the price was $17. Unfortunately (not that it would have done me any good) the serial number is not present. His niece got the 1911 upon his passing. I have the mint condition grips that go for that 1911 (Ithaca) and I remember him shooting it 30 years ago.

I would love to find a competent Tig welder to close up the holes. Too bad the M1911A1 US Army stamping would disappear. Do you Hawkmoon, or anyone know of a competent smith that specializes in 1911 work to do such a thing?

The faux flames, I agree, would be an easy "fix".

How long has Wilson been making barrels? Particularily a 6 inch.

I need to get a pin for the extractor. I was wondering if that was done on purpose to make replacement easy to do mid-competition. Can't think of any logical reason to do so on purpose otherwise. The slide does hold it down into the frame and the size of the pin to hold the extractor in place is so small, tiny actually, does it really do much? Or will the extractor move enough under fire to cause a malfunction.

As a side note, I read Sergio Natalia's sig line after my long winded post. Almost as if it was meant for me, sort of. Violated both; FLGR and I bought the story!

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by BrettID View Post
    I have the mint condition grips that go for that 1911 (Ithaca) and I remember him shooting it 30 years ago.
    They should look good on your new acquisition -- if they haven't shrunk.

I would love to find a competent Tig welder to close up the holes. Too bad the M1911A1 US Army stamping would disappear. Do you Hawkmoon, or anyone know of a competent smith that specializes in 1911 work to do such a thing?
    Doug Turnbull https://www.turnbullrestoration.com/

I need to get a pin for the extractor. I was wondering if that was done on purpose to make replacement easy to do mid-competition. Can't think of any logical reason to do so on purpose otherwise. The slide does hold it down into the frame and the size of the pin to hold the extractor in place is so small, tiny actually, does it really do much? Or will the extractor move enough under fire to cause a malfunction.
    I know people who have gone for years with no pin to hold the ejector (note: that's not the extractor. The extractor is in the slide.) It's a 1/16" diameter pin, and you can get it from Brownells (click their link at the top of your screen).

By the way, that ejector is not the correct ejector for a military M1911A1. If you're going to buy a pin, you might look into buying the proper ejector while you're shopping.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside
    Likes (1) :
    BrettID (30th June 2020)

Posts liked by others
    Oops "ejector"! I usually proof read for goofs. As I usually make them.

Thanks for the Turnbull link. I knew they did color case hardening stuff. Didn't think of them for this project.

My Springfield(1989 vintage) M1911A1 wears the old keyes fiber grips now.

I did not know there are differences in ejector styles/types. Thanks!

Posts liked by others
    It's hard to tell from the picture but I don't see a cutout in the ejector, for a pin. If so, it was never pinned to begin with.
    Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
    M. Setter

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast