Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

Dear members,
Please make sure the email address we have for you, is correct and valid.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Remington Rand "find"

Posts liked by others

Remington Rand "find"

Ten years ago I sought out a Remington Rand WWII 1911. I had read that they were the most produced and arguably the best made. I never got one. I felt out of my leauge when trying to "appraise" the value of them at gun shows, to determine if I would be paying appropriately. I gave up.

Fast forward to this past week; a very good friend had a brother that passed away that owned many guns. One such being a Remington Rand 1911. My friend knowing me as a mild gun nut offered first pick of his brothers guns. The Remington Rand was one that my friend's brother really liked. Yesterday he brought over the 1911. I was very excited to have a look.

I was disappointed. Some Bubba got a hold of it at one time. A 6" stainless Wilson barrel had been installed, full length guide rod and houge grips. The extractor and ejector had been replaced. New trigger. Annnnd there are holes filled with epoxy drilled throught the front part of the frame.

The barrel link binds. Not sure it would properly cycle when fired. I thought the gun just needed cleaning because the slide was stiff to actuate. But when I field stripped, I discovered it is the barrel link.

The extractor fell out of the frame when I removed the slide. There was no roll pin installed. The newer ejector looks like someone polished it with a rock (it looks rough, I wonder if it even works).

I see no arsenal rebuild stamps. The parkerizing looks original, very little slide/frame rail wear, evidence of cosmoline in magwell and underside of slide. Serial number May of 44 range (15112XX). Someone took a nice shape surplus pistol and Bubba'd it.

I will need to take better photos.

I don't know how to tell my good friend that it is in my humble opinion a parts gun.

0628202101.jpg0628202059.jpg
    Last edited by BrettID; 29th June 2020 at 10:26. Reason: sp

Posts liked by others
    The thumb safety and grip safety function properly.

Posts liked by others
    The ejection port appears to have been lowered and flared.

The holes were for mounting a bracket that accepted a scope. It would appear that your friend's late brother probably at one time used this pistol for bullseye competition.

So, in a nutshell, the three primary, major components (the slide, the barrel, and the receiver) have all been altered or replaced. I have no idea what it might be worth to someone who might find such a firearm of interest. I think you can simply point out to your friend that the various issues you have enumerated have removed any collector value from the piece, so there is no way to put a value on it other than as a nondescript "shooter grade" old gun. My personal guess is that it's "worth" about $500 ... to the right buyer. Personally, I would not be interested. I can buy a new 1911, with a factory warranty, for less than $500.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside

Posts liked by others
    Thanks Hawkmoon. That is what I figured on value as well. Too bad. I so wanted a RR. I even tried to rationalize in my mind that I could buy a Foster frame or some such and swap parts. Buy a regular length barrel and try and get the frame parkerized to be similar in color of the slide.

Would never have guessed a scope mount with the holes being on both sides of the frame.

The front 3 holes on the right side, I imagine could be welded shut. But the second to the rear is right through the M1911 US Army stamping. The two rear holes on both sides go right through the "meat" of the frame just forward of the slide release pin hole.

Darn it. The slide to frame fit is so nice. Depressing end to a great piece of firearm history.

Posts liked by others
    Politely tell your friend that his brother probably got and used this gun back when such pistols were plentiful, cheap and definitely not at all seen as potential collectibles; so his modifications, that probably seemed perfectly reasonable at the time (certainly more suited to an old 'beater' gun than to a new Colt, for example) ultimately mean that it's just not a collectible any more.

The gun will hopefully have more sentimental value to a friend or family member of the deceased, than it might to anyone else.
    Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
    M. Setter
    Likes (1) :
    BrettID (29th June 2020)

Posts liked by others
    I concur with Hawkmoon, I would pass it without looking back.
    Sergio
    In a world of plastic wonders, a solid revolver in .357 mag is like a breath of fresh air.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by BrettID View Post
    Thanks Hawkmoon. That is what I figured on value as well. Too bad. I so wanted a RR. I even tried to rationalize in my mind that I could buy a Foster frame or some such and swap parts. Buy a regular length barrel and try and get the frame parkerized to be similar in color of the slide.
    I wouldn't be so certain that the slide's finish is original. Your first photo clearly shows that the ejection port has been lowered and flared. Yet the finish at the flare and the surrounding area appears -- in the photo -- to be uniform. That suggests that the entire slide may have been refinished.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside
    Likes (1) :
    Rick McC. (1st July 2020)

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkmoon View Post
    I wouldn't be so certain that the slide's finish is original. Your first photo clearly shows that the ejection port has been lowered and flared. Yet the finish at the flare and the surrounding area appears -- in the photo -- to be uniform. That suggests that the entire slide may have been refinished.
    More than likely the case. As I mentioned earlier I felt out of my leauge looking and judging originality. At today's prices, one would have to fall into my lap again for me to consider. If I was "only" into WWII 1911's I could justify the $$. But I tend to have A.D.D. with my gun hobby and I "have to" spread the wealth.

I'd like to find a RR that externally was correct. Maybe someday.

Posts liked by others
    Welllll?? Aren't ya'll gonna ask? Did I or didn't I?

Posts liked by others
    Took a "few" pics of the defaced and modified RR..
    RemRndLT.jpgRemRndrt.jpgejectionprt.jpgflgr.jpgflm.jpg

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast