Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

Dear members,
Please make sure the email address we have for you, is correct and valid.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Remington Rand "find"

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Connochr View Post
    Joined the forum because of this thread and purchased for a project an "in need of restoration" Remington Rand M1911a1 that someone chrome plated a long time ago. I look forward to seeing the final outcome of your modified Remington Rand. I have seen some old youtube videos of a gentleman in Canada that restored one with holes drilled in the frame. Laser welded them up, ground them smooth, refinished the pistol and it came out nice. He also had a company laser engrave the original markings back into the frame. Of course he didn't mention price but it is possible and in my opinion worth it for these old war horses.
    Thanks for the post! And welcome!

I haven't determined if I'll restore my Remington Rand (yet). I only contacted one restoration shop and they declined. I may seek out someone else in the future.

Congrats on your Remington Rand! Sounds like other than chrome plating removal and a proper refinish you'll have an awesome looking piece of history. How are the mechanicals? ie. barrel, hammer, trigger, etc.

I don't know about anybody else, but I would very much like to see pictures of your Remington Rand. Have you looked up your serial number to find out when it was made? I think that is a cool part of the history.

Myself having a rudimentary knowledge of the status of WWII at different times gives fuel for the imagination as to where and when the Remington Rand might have travelled. I wish there was a data base that could tell where my Remington Rand first went.
    Last edited by BrettID; 9th August 2020 at 19:04.

Posts liked by others
    Thank you for the warm welcome and interest in my project gun. It appears all original with the exception of a military contract replacement barrel. Slide to frame fit is on the loose side but nothing extreme. I took it apart to the frame and nothing internally appears overly worn. My goal is to just get it deplated and refinish it to it's original finish. The hard part is finding someone to do it in a reasonable amount of time and for a reasonable price.
    As for it's history from the serial number research I did it was made in 1944. I believe I can dig a little more and find the month it left the factory but that's about where the documented history ends. After that it could have been in combat in multiple wars or used for training in the states. Unfortunately we can only imagine were it's been because sadly that is all that is available for it's history.
    I will work on getting some photos uploaded for you.

Posts liked by others
    Awesome Connochr! I have seen correct barrels on ebay that sell in the range of $125-150. I bought a correct trigger for mine on ebay for $35 (or close to it).

Here is a link (Hawkmoon posted this earlier in the thread) who I contacted for a possible restoration. They have some really nice pictures on their website of restored 1911/M1911A1's.

Doug Turnbull https://www.turnbullrestoration.com/

I did not get any quotes on time or price when I contacted them. I emailed pictures and gave a brief description and they politely declined. If I were to venture a guess as to why, it is probably the welding of the holes and/or the flared ejection port.

Maybe some other forum members know of other outfits that they can post referrals for as well. I'm looking forward to seeing the before and after photos as you get yours done.

As you stated before someone has to look after these old war horses. Like you I respect the history. I was fortunate to find my RR. I paid a fair price for a working 1911 and I do realize I would probably end up having more money into it when restored than it is worth (labor ain't cheap). But if I decide to go ahead and restore it, I feel I will have preserved history.

Speaking of History, I emailed back and forth with a Remington Rand seller from gunbroker and he gave me a tip on a great book. I got a copy on ebay for $28.
    The Model 1911 and Model 1911A1 Military and Commercial Pistols by Joe Poyer
    Last edited by BrettID; 10th August 2020 at 08:19.

Posts liked by others
    Check out Ford’s Custom Gun Refinishing in Crystal River, Florida.

They do excellent work that I’ve seen personally.
    "Sights are for the unenlightened."

Rick

IDPA Certified Safety Officer

Posts liked by others
    Thanks for the info. I have considered purchasing a correct barrel for it which I believe would be an HS or High Standard barrel. However from my research I believe the barrel it has is a military replacement barrel so most likely changed as it was still in military service so I may leave it for that reason.

I contacted Turnbull Restoration yesterday I'm waiting to hear back from them. They seem to do high end restorations from what I've seen on their website. So they may pass on mine as well since it needs to have the chrome removed. I'll let you know what they say on that.

Unfortunately I am technology challenged and do not know how to post pictures. I'll have to look into it more and figure it out so I can put them up here.

I personally do not like to see these military pistols modified into target pistols or in my case a chrome nightmare so I have no problem spending some money I may never get back out of it to bring it back to it's former glory. Just my opinion.

I will look for The Model 1911 and Model 1911A1 Military and Commercial Pistols by Joe Poyer. Some of the books I've seen are really expensive so that price seems more reasonable.
    Likes (1) :
    Rick McC. (3rd September 2020)

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick McC. View Post
    Check out Ford’s Custom Gun
    Refinishing in Crystal River, Florida.

They do excellent work that I’ve seen personally.
    Thank you I will look into them.
    Likes (1) :
    Rick McC. (3rd September 2020)

Posts liked by others
    Well received no response from Turnbull so sending it off to Ford's. The only downside is I was told 18 weeks until I see it again. Hopefully that's the long end of their estimated time of completion.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Connochr View Post
    Well received no response from Turnbull so sending it off to Ford's. The only downside is I was told 18 weeks until I see it again. Hopefully that's the long end of their estimated time of completion.

That is GREAT news!! Keep us posted!!! Especially the before and after photos!

Posts liked by others
    I don't live in the States but I know that for instance the name below has a very good reputation as a gun restorer, and not only vintage Lugers:

Thor's Luger Clinic http://members.rennlist.com/lugerman/
    Ted Green (Thor Yaller Boots)
    725 Western Hills Dr SE, Rio Rancho, NM 87124
    915-526-8925 Email thor340@aol.com
    Sergio
    In a world of plastic wonders, a solid revolver in .357 mag is like a breath of fresh air.

Posts liked by others
    That's great Sergio! Ironically I have friends and family that live in Rio Rancho, NM!

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast