Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: IMPORTANT: Photo Threads

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

IMPORTANT: Photo Threads

This is another reminder for those of you who have contributed photos to the various manufacturers' photo threads. Thanks to the games some of the formerly free photo hosting sites have been playing, a great many posts now contain dead links. As we have said previously, we will be going through the photo threads (as we get to them) and deleting all posts that have dead links rather than active photos.

Photobucket seems to be hit or miss. Other sites that appear to have cut off all links are Tinypic and Fototime.

We all love eye candy, so if you have previously posted photos of your 1911s, please check to see if the photos are still viewable. If not, we encourage you to report the bad post so we can delete it, and by all means post new photos to replace the ones lost to cyberspace. There are new instructions for posting photos, and more options, so if you haven't caught up with the new choices available, please read the revised FAQ on attaching photos to posts.

And, if you haven't posted photos of your favorite 1911(s) yet ... what are you waiting for?

If any new members don't know what I mean by "photo threads" ... at the top of the index page for each manufacturer's discussion area there is a sticky thread that always stays at or near the top. It's a place to just post your best photos of your favorite 1911s. No discussion, no non-1911 firearms, just good, old-fashioned 1911 eye candy.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside
    Likes (1) :
    Rick McC. (27th June 2020)

Last edited by Hawkmoon; 27th June 2020 at 19:38.

Posts liked by others
    Will the posters be able to replace their photos?

I ask because it seems that after only a couple of days, the site won’t allow you to edit your previous posts.
    "Sights are for the unenlightened."

Rick

IDPA Certified Safety Officer

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick McC. View Post
    Will the posters be able to replace their photos?

I ask because it seems that after only a couple of days, the site won’t allow you to edit your previous posts.
    Unfortunately, no. It's not practical to try to selectively open up posts that have timed out. Many of the posts with dead links are five years old or more. Even if we could open up just those posts, or change the time out system for the photo threads, I doubt many people could reconstruct what photo or photos they posted 5 or more years ago. The photos may not even exist any more.

Rather than try to do that and have everyone get frustrated, as the moderators have time we'll go through each photo thread and cull out the posts with dead links. Please understand that we're not trying to chase anyone away. In the long run, after considering the amount of work that could be involved in rebuilding links in an old post (if we could selectively open just the photo threads) we decided that's not a practical approach. For most members, I believe it will be less work to just create a new post, whether it's with the same photo or photos you used before, or new photos (maybe even of a new 1911).

Don't shoot the messenger, folks. John didn't break those photo links -- Photobucket did. (By the way, Tinypic is now owned by Photobucket. I don't know who owns Fototime.) Photobucket's business decision to start charging for what they had offered as a free service nearly broke the Internet. Unfortunately, we are still seeing the effects, on this forum, on automotive hobbyist forums, on any sort of forum where people post photos.
    Hawkmoon
    Likes (1) :
    Rick McC. (28th June 2020)

Last edited by Hawkmoon; 28th June 2020 at 05:26.

Posts liked by others
    An addendum to what Hawkmoon wrote:

The following statement has appeared at the top of numerous forum index pages with regard to the photo threads:

IMPORTANT: In Photo-threads, each post should contain at least one picture of your own. Quoting a previous post, does not make your post compliant with that requirement. Photo threads are NOT for chatting.
    In the process of starting the photo thread cleanup, we are finding that a great many posts failed to follow these simple guidelines. We would love to see the photo threads become more active again … especially since we are culling out so many posts with dead links. (It's really depressing to think of how many great photos may have been lost because the hosting sites got greedy and unilaterally changed their terms of service.) By all means, please post photos. BUT … the photo threads are for photos, they are not the place to introduce yourself to the membership, or to tell us the story of where you found the gun and how much you paid for it and what all you have changed and what all else you plan to change. That's why we have discussion areas for each major manufacturer of 1911s, as well as an area for "other brands." Start a new thread there to tell us your story or the story of your gun, and people can respond and get conversations going.

The photo threads are intended to be like a montage -- "eye candy," as Hawkmoon expressed it. Maybe include one of two short sentences to tell us what the gun is, if it isn't clear from the photo. That's it. Give us your best [photo] shots, and see if you can make anyone drool on their keyboard.
    For the M1911.ORG Team,
    The Rule Keeper
    Likes (1) :
    Rick McC. (28th June 2020)

Posts liked by others
    I have pretty much all of the photos on my iPad that I put on P-bucket. For the last few years, I’ve been uploading pics directly from my iPad. Most of the forums I frequent allow that. One doesn’t allow it anymore, so I no longer post pics on that forum.

Rick

Posts liked by others
    It's strange that any forum once allowed attaching photos and now doesn't. The entire universe seems to have gone the other way, from not allowing direct attachment to now encouraging it.
    Hawkmoon
    Last edited by Hawkmoon; 28th June 2020 at 12:36. Reason: Typo

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkmoon View Post
    It's strange that any forum once allowed attaching photos and now doesn't. The entire universe seems to have gone the other way, from not allowing direct attachment to now encouraging it.
    I think it had to do with file size storage requirements.

That said, I agree completely with you.

Rick

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick McC. View Post
    I think it had to do with file size storage requirements.
    That's why it's so odd. The cost of storage has been going down exponentially. When John first started this forum, several of the forum rules were aimed at limiting the amount of storage space (as well as bandwidth) used. The notion of allowing members to attach their photos and store them in the forum's own database, on the forum's own server, was unthinkable. Now, for this site as well as many other internet forums, attaching photos has become the preferred option.
    Hawkmoon
    Likes (1) :
    Rick McC. (29th June 2020)

Posts liked by others
    I'm using Imgur now and they seem to be good.
    MFWIC
    DILLIGAF
    Stercus Accidit
    WTFDTSG

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by BHP9 View Post
    I'm using Imgur now and they seem to be good.
    No, not necessarily. Cleaning up the posts with dead photo links is very time consuming and we can't check every post to see where the links were supposed to lead, but we have spot checked a few. The majority have been Photobucket and Tinypic, but there are others … including some that were to Imgur.

This may not be due to Imgur. It's possible that the owner of the image(s) deleted some photos to make room for others in his/her album, or rearranged them. Either action would break the link.

What we're finding is that we clearly allowed this to go along for too long without addressing it. We have deleted at least 300 posts in the Kimber photo thread alone, due to dead links, as well as editing numerous posts in which some images display but others were dead links. We culled out similar numbers of dead link posts in the Colt and Armscor photo threads. We just did another manufacturer's photo thread, that was a much smaller thread. Even there, we culled out 100 or so posts with dead links.

So, dear friends, we have lost a tremendous number of photos. And many of our members have proven themselves to be top flight photographers, so a lot of those photos really were "eye candy" grade images. While the world is on semi-hold due to COVID-19 closings, this would be a great time for all of you who are proud of your 1911s to fire up the camera and do your part to rebuild the library of great 1911 gun photos.

Just remember, please, that the photo threads are ONLY for photos, and maybe a short sentence or two just to identify what the gun(s) is/are. Obviously, you are also welcome to post questions and longer stories and range reports about your guns, but those don't go in the photo threads. Post those as new threads in the respective manufacturers' discussion areas so other members can join in the discussion.
    For the M1911.ORG Team,
    The Rule Keeper
    Last edited by The Rule Keeper; 29th June 2020 at 14:42.