Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ: Para Build Date database

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ: Para Build Date database

A very long time ago, a member of this forum (who is no longer active) started to compile a list of Para-Ordnance and ParaUSA serial numbers and build dates. He had a thread running on this site and a parallel thread running on other "gun" forums, as well. Along the way, he abandoned the project. Someone else picked it up, then he also abandoned it. The list has not been updated for a period of years.

A recent post led me to look at the list, and I found it to be confusing in organization, as well as containing what appear to be multiple instances of incorrect information. Sadly, I was attacked for pointing out the flaws in this list, and I was challenged to find something better.

I can't find anything better, so I have enlisted the help of some friends and we have decided to try to pick up the ball and carry it for awhile. We're going through the list with an initial goal of making the entries consistent enough that it can be imported into a spreadsheet ... and from there possibly into an actual database. But ... one step at a time.

Things I have learned:

• Remington WILL still respond to requests for build date information. However, their information for serial numbers earlier than 2012 (which is when The Freedom Group purchased ParaUSA and put it under Remington management) is incomplete and often incorrect. I sent them a list of eight serial numbers. Three of those happened to be guns that I own. They were bought new, and I have the fired cases with the date of test firing marked on the envelope. Remington only gave me a year for each gun. Of the three that I have test firing dates for, Remington got one correct. One was off by two years, one was off by six years.
    • The absolute best source of build date information is the little brown envelope with the fired case, if you have it.
    • Remington customer service says their information will be more accurate for guns made after 2012.

I contacted Remington to let them know that their dates were off, and I received this as a response:

Remington purchased PARA in 2012. They turned over to us incomplete and spotty records, especially for Canadian or Ft. Lauderdale handguns. I have given you the best information that we as PARA possess. Anything made after our purchase of PARA will be precise records. I could tell you model, year and even what quarter of the year the handgun was made. Prior to 2012, we can only do the best we can. I am sorry if that is unsatisfactory to you.
    So here's the deal: We would like to reboot the effort to compile a way of looking up build dates for Para-Ordnance and ParaUSA pistols. If you have one (or more) and would be willing to help, here's what you can do:

First, contact Remington customer service at contact@para-usa.com . Give them the model name of your pistol and the serial number, and ask for the build date.

Check the Para clamshell case the pistol came in. Look for the small, brown envelope with the fired case. If you find it, the envelope should have a white label on it that includes the date when the gun was test fired. That's as good as we can get for a build date.

Send me a PM with the following information:
    • Model name ("Tac-Four," "Para Carry," etc. The name on the right side of the slide)
    • The product code, found on the label on the factory gun case (such as PX1445SR or PSHX645R, etc)
    • The test fire date, if you have it (identified as test fire date)
    • The build date from Remington (identified as "Remington build date")
    • Whether your pistol is marked "Para-Ordnance" or "ParaUSA"
    • Whether your pistol is marked "Fort Lauderdale, FL" or "________, NC"
    • Where your pistol was built ("Made in Canada" or "Made in USA" -- as marked on the receiver)

If you don't have all of that information, please try to get or find as much of it as possible. If you can't get it all, please send me as much as possible.

We would prefer complete serial numbers. We will NOT post or publish anything to link a serial number to you. Having the complete serial number makes the list more accurate. If you are concerned about letting us have a full serial number, feel free to substitute "xx" for the last two digits of the serial number. PLEASE -- no more than the last two, and the full serial number would be much preferred. Thanks.

Many thanks.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside
    Likes (3) :
    LeeR1911 (27th June 2020), Mark75H (27th June 2020), Spyros (27th June 2020)

Last edited by Hawkmoon; 27th June 2020 at 09:41.