Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: Duty Holster - 1950 made Commander

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Duty Holster - 1950 made Commander

I now have my father's Colt Commander from 1950 (finally something older than me). I want to carry it as a duty weapon but company policy requires chambered and cocked and so far only the Serpa seems to fit the bill.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Michael Cannon

Posts liked by others
    Please provide more information. Are you a police officer, or do you work for a private security company?

What is the company's (or agency's) policy on holsters. There are LOTS of holsters for carrying 1911s cocked and locked. Why is the Serpa the only one for you? Are you required to have a retention device? If so, what level? Would a strap with a snap satisfy the policy, or do you need a more positive retention system?
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside

Posts liked by others
    Ask your uniform store.
    They usually have the requirements and can order suitable holsters.
    Likes (1) :
    mwcannon (16th June 2020)

Posts liked by others
    Thanks for your interest.

I work for a private security company.

The requirement is a level 2 or (I would prefer) a Level 3 holster. I am using a Safe Life defense duty belt.

My Google-Fu must be quite rusty because I have not been able to find any that meet the minimums other then the Serpa. I have found Glock holsters in abundance but not any for an M1911. I just saw (face palm) the pinned post about holster stores and will browse those.

Posts liked by others
    Stay away from the Serpas; they’re an accident waiting to happen. Serpas are not allowed at any of the ranges down here that I’m familiar with; in either IDPA or USPSA matches.

A few years ago, I personally witnessed a friend who’s a former Army Captain, and DOD contractor who was working in the sandbox (he still does) shoot himself across the upper thigh when drawing from a Serpa holster in an IDPA match.

He’s definitely not a newbie, untrained, careless, or stupid. A holster design that requires the shooter to use the trigger finger to put pressure on a release button situated ahead of the trigger while drawing a pistol at speed (never mind in a real world high stress/adrenaline dump situation) is an inherently unsafe design.

During the same timeframe; I witnessed a well trained security contractor (Captain at a nuclear power facility) wrestle with his Serpa holster for several seconds while attempting to draw his pistol from a seated position during an IDPA match.

I wouldn’t have one if they were giving them away for free across the street from my house...
    "Sights are for the unenlightened."

Rick

IDPA Certified Safety Officer
    Last edited by Rick McC.; 16th June 2020 at 22:25.

Posts liked by others
    Hawkmoon

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick McC. View Post
    Stay away from the Serpas; they’re an accident waiting to happen.
    Thanks, Rick. I have heard a lot of guys express admiration for the Serpa but the safety issue is a problem. I was in the military and safety is a major concern after seeing as many weapon related accidents as I have.
    Likes (1) :
    Rick McC. (17th June 2020)

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkmoon View Post
    I always look first at Safariland for 1911 duty holsters:
    Hawkmoon, Thanks for the links. I will contact Safariland and see what they say.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by mwcannon View Post
    Thanks, Rick. I have heard a lot of guys express admiration for the Serpa but the safety issue is a problem. I was in the military and safety is a major concern after seeing as many weapon related accidents as I have.
    I was too; about 2/3 of a lifetime ago. Of course back then; we had leather holsters..
    "Sights are for the unenlightened."

Rick

IDPA Certified Safety Officer

Posts liked by others
    Before you tell yourself you can live with a Serpa, you need to watch this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDpxVG9XFJc
    Hawkmoon
    Likes (1) :
    Rick McC. (18th June 2020)