Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: Newbie's question about commercially available new M1911 Colts

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Newbie's question about commercially available new M1911 Colts

First post, with a lot of respect and kudos for the super knowledgeable community!

I'm posting on behalf of a very good Greek friend who is one of the few privileged Greeks who are allowed to carry a pistol (a long story that has to do with the strict firearm laws of the country, totally out of topic here).

That being said, the question is if Colt produces (anniversary models, re-issues etc) any .45 M1911 based on the early versions of the pistol. What he is looking for is the longer trigger (1 in the attached photo, credit wikipedia.org), no crescent-shaped cuts behind the trigger (2) and the original hammer spur (or at least the non flat sided) (3).

If yes, any input in how a brand new pistol like that could be purchased in the US would be much appreciated.

Many thanks in advance for your time and help,

George (on behalf of Panagiotis)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by GeoK; 14th June 2020 at 12:48.

Posts liked by others
    In 2004 or 2005 Colt offered a WW1 replica that was a VERY accurate reproduction. This was the Colt Model O1911. (That's "O" as in "Oh," not "zero.") It was advertised as a limited production run of 4,000 pistols.

Several years before, Colt had offered a WW2 M1911A1 reproduction that was not as good a replica, and they didn't sell many. Possibly due to this, I don't think Colt expected to sell 4,000 copies of the O1911. But they did ... very quickly, in fact. So then Colt was going to keep making them, but the customers screamed "Foul! You said it was going to be limited to 4,000 guns. Don't go back on your word."

So Colt changed the model number to O1918, and changed the finish to something that sort of resembled the coarse, late WW1 finish that has become known as the "Black Army" pistols. The O1911s were sent out to Doug Turnbull for finishing; the O1918s were finished in-house by Colt. Colt then used this same pistol as the base for their 100-year anniversary pistols.

I don't think Colt currently offers anything that is a copy of the WW1 M1911, with the long trigger and without the scallop cuts behind the trigger. If he wants a Colt, he will have to find one on the used gun market.

Armscor also produced a 100-year anniversary model without the relief cuts behind the trigger, but IMHO they got the profile of the trigger window wrong and it never looked good to me. I don't know if they still produce it.

Caspian Arms offers a "Classic" receiver that doesn't have the scallop cuts. If your friend has deep pockets I suppose he could have a custom gunsmith here in the U.S. build a pistol based on the Caspian "Classic" receiver and then import that to Greece. Long triggers are available, as are wide-spur hammers. The only drawback to the Caspian "Classic" receiver is that they make the trigger guard too fat ... but a custom gunsmith could cut that down to the correct profile.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside
    Likes (2) :
    GeoK (14th June 2020), Rick McC. (15th June 2020)

Posts liked by others
    Yes, I bought one of the O1911s as my grandfather was in WWI. It is WWK serial number or "blue" pistol. Colt said they were going to make 4K but made a few more so many "collectors" were unhappy. When they came out with the WWI or "black" pistol they did make just 4K of those. Those I have.

Then for 2011 they made the ANVIII. I think about 8K of those were made and they were "black" also and "100 year" pistols. Do not have one of those. These are out on the used market with the ANVIII being the cheapest I think. Also one gets into LNIB etc. etc.
    NRA Life Member
    Likes (3) :
    GeoK (14th June 2020), Intercessor (11th October 2020), Rick McC. (15th June 2020)

Posts liked by others
    Late with reply. You might want to check this one. It's made in the Philippines, AFAIK, but I've seen good reviews. https://www.cimarron-firearms.com/19...ster-blue.html

Posts liked by others
    If you can find an ANVIII, they seem well regarded and are often used as the basis of a customized gun.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurryin' Hoosier View Post
    Late with reply. You might want to check this one. It's made in the Philippines, AFAIK, but I've seen good reviews. https://www.cimarron-firearms.com/19...ster-blue.html
    Made by Armscor. As much as I like Armscor pistols (and revolvers, for the sake of those who don't know that revolvers are pistols), that's one of the worst M1911 imitations around. The ejection port is lowered. The grips safety is too long. And the curve of the trigger window aft of the trigger is completely wrong.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside