Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Loctite Summary

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkmoon View Post
    Whick Green Loctite did you use? I've often thought that the green wicking formulation would be excellent for retaining staked on front sights.
    I used 640 because that's what I had in stock. I've not used it before, but I had some I'd gotten from my late father in law's shop when I moved all his stuff. I'd never staked a sight before and as it turned out, my 1911 had the narrow slot and the sight I had was a wide tenon, so I had to hand fit it. It was an interesting afternoon, but so far the sight hasn't come flying off. Yet.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    Brownells lists three different green Loctites. The number does matter.
    Not all Loctite products are thread lockers. This thread was intended to address only thread lockers.

Quote Originally Posted by Caminoist
    I used 640 because that's what I had in stock. I've not used it before, but I had some I'd gotten from my late father in law's shop when I moved all his stuff.
    That's not a thread locker.

The current Loctite application guide (in the link in my opening post) only lists one Green thread locker, number 290. There's an older version of the guide around that shows two: 290 and 294, as well as 2033 which is described as Blue-Green.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside

Posts liked by others
    Not all Loctite products are thread lockers. This thread was intended to address only thread lockers.

That's not a thread locker.

The current Loctite application guide (in the link in my opening post) only lists one Green thread locker, number 290. There's an older version of the guide around that shows two: 290 and 294, as well as 2033 which is described as Blue-Green.
    It's a sleeve retainer. I read it was suitable for my project and I used what I had on hand. Disregard if I'm taking the thread too far afield.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Caminoist View Post
    It's a sleeve retainer. I read it was suitable for my project and I used what I had on hand. Disregard if I'm taking the thread too far afield.
    Staking a front sight doesn't involve any screw threads, so that product very well might be the most appropriate for the task. I have considered using the wicking Green Loctite for staked front sights because it can be applied after the staking has been completed, but I haven't tried it so I don't know how well it would work.

There's no harm in expanding the scope of the discussion, as long as we're still talking about 1911 gunsmithing. I just want everyone to know when we touch on products that aren't thread lockers. There are enough Loctite products that it gets confusing just within the range of thread locker products. Once we branch out beyond that it can be overwhelming.
    Hawkmoon
    Likes (1) :
    Frgood (15th June 2020)

Last edited by Hawkmoon; 14th June 2020 at 12:56.

Posts liked by others
    After researching all the Loctites, I ordered the 222ms (purple) for my VX grip screws on my TLE full size, they kept loosening. So far so good and it's for use on tiny machine screws. I've used Loctite for over 30 years in my line of work but I was surprised to see it's now owned by a German company.
    Last edited by JD11; 14th June 2020 at 15:41.

Posts liked by others
    Staking a front sight doesn't involve any screw threads, so that product very well might be the most appropriate for the task. I have considered using the wicking Green Loctite for staked front sights because it can be applied after the staking has been completed, but I haven't tried it so I don't know how well it would work.

There's no harm in expanding the scope of the discussion, as long as we're still talking about 1911 gunsmithing. I just want everyone to know when we touch on products that aren't thread lockers. There are enough Loctite products that it gets confusing just within the range of thread locker products. Once we branch out beyond that it can be overwhelming.
    The Loctite #290 works very well for staked sights, as you can take as long as you wish getting it staked and then add the #290. Beware many firearm metals will not activate Loctite to full cure and using their #7649 activator/primer is highly recommended. Tool steels, stainless, aluminum, will not cure Loctite, see their notice on this.

CAW
    “If it ain't broke, don't fix it' is the slogan of the complacent, the arrogant or the scared. It's an excuse for inaction, a call to non-arms.” Colin Powell

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by CAWalter View Post
    The Loctite #290 works very well for staked sights, as you can take as long as you wish getting it staked and then add the #290.
    That's eactly why I thought it would be perfect for the application.

Beware many firearm metals will not activate Loctite to full cure and using their #7649 activator/primer is highly recommended. Tool steels, stainless, aluminum, will not cure Loctite, see their notice on this.
    I wasn't aware of that. Many thanks for the heads up.

Do you apply the primer/activator before staking, or does that wick, as well?
    Hawkmoon

Posts liked by others
    I believe it will work well either way. The primer is acetone with copper in solution and drys very quickly.

CAW
    “If it ain't broke, don't fix it' is the slogan of the complacent, the arrogant or the scared. It's an excuse for inaction, a call to non-arms.” Colin Powell

Posts liked by others
    That's eactly why I thought it would be perfect for the application.
    I wasn't aware of that. Many thanks for the heads up.
    Me neither, a Loctite rep came by our shop years ago and gave a "clinic" on their products and his two main points were surface prep (clean oil-free threads) and that their thread lockers dry and set up only in the absence of air, like their present day site states.
    Not all Loctite products are thread lockers.
    That's for sure, they make a lot of products nowadays, another commonly used one is their Teflon thread sealant paste in the tube. And unless they've changed, they also own Permatex.
    Last edited by JD11; 15th June 2020 at 08:50.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by JD11 View Post
    Me neither, a Loctite rep came by our shop years ago and gave a "clinic" on their products and his two main points were surface prep (clean oil-free threads) and that their thread lockers dry and set up only in the absence of air, like their present day site states.

That's for sure, they make a lot of products nowadays, another commonly used one is their Teflon thread sealant paste in the tube. And unless they've changed, they also own Permatex.
    I was surprised as well when first told of the lack of full cure with a lot of metals, I had thought only the anaerobic, absence of air was required, but found the warning on their brochure. And had experienced soft Loctite on disassembly of stainless steel. The primer is needed.

Use Loctite® 7649™ Primer N™ to:
    1. Activate inactive surfaces.
    2. Speed cure times for faster return to service.
    3. Speed curing through larger gaps and deep threads.
    4. Substantially speed cure times on cold parts.
    5. Act as a cleaning agent.
    Primer is optional with: Active surfaces: Brass, copper, bronze,
    iron, soft steel, nickel.
    Primer is required with: Inactive surfaces: Aluminum, stainless
    steel, magnesium, zinc, black oxide, cadmium, titanium, others.
    Package Size/Part Number: 1.75 fl. oz. bottle– 38402
    4.5 oz. aerosol – 21348

CAW
    Likes (2) :
    Hawkmoon (25th July 2020), JD11 (16th June 2020)

Last edited by CAWalter; 15th June 2020 at 21:25.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12