Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: Mama Baer

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Mama Baer

Greetings 1911 People,

I have multiple Les Baers.

I had a Nighthawk Ladyhawk in .45ACP without the Ladyhawk roll marks. It was my first 1911 purchase, the car salesman variety sales person who sold it to me, new, over the counter, did not serve-up the service of inviting me to feel the difference in grip circumference between it and a regularly dimensioned 1911.

The Nighthawk functioned very well. After acquiring some regularly dimensioned 1911's it became apparent that I favored the standard dimensioned grip circumference to the reduced Ladyhawk. Furthermore after acquiring multiple Les Baer governments it was evident that the slide-to-frame fit on the Baers was superior to the Nighthawk.

The Ladyhawk is a Commander length. After owning it for nearly 10 years I made the move to sell it and replace it with a Les Baer Comanche. Somewhat ironically I went from the Nighthawk Ladyhawk to the Les Baer Mama Baer with the Mama Baer roll mark.

The Mama Baer is a Davidson's exclusive. I think the only other, or similar Comanche length LB is the Concept Vll. I chose the Mama Baer over the Concept Vll for the Rolo sites and non-ambi safety. The non-ambi safety operates more smoothly than the ambi-safety models in my experience.

While the Ladyhawk is VERY well appointed, I like the Mama Baer better. My first 125 rounds shot perfectly without any malfunction and the accuracy is fantastic. I have another 375 to go for initial break-in.

I think Les Baer is The 1911 and Les Baer is The man.

Hat off to Les,

Greg
    Via Sierra
    NRA Life Member
    Reno, Nevada
    Likes (1) :
    Rick McC. (8th June 2020)

Posts liked by others
    Congrats on your new Baer!

My first was/is a Custom Carry Comanche.

I liked everything about it except the ambi safety; which I changed out the first week I had it.
    "Sights are for the unenlightened."

Rick

IDPA Certified Safety Officer

Posts liked by others
    Thanks Rick.

I saw a thread here on the Forum, which was too old to reply to, that referred to Les Baer Comanche defects or a defect, "slingshot". Which I interpreted, that after spent/empty mag lock back; empty mag ejected and a fresh-loaded mag inserted; a pull back and let-go of the slide failed to release the slide lock, so the slide could load/strip-off the top round of the "new" magazine and go back into battery.

My Comanche does not have this problem, it works fine.
    Via Sierra
    NRA Life Member
    Reno, Nevada
    Last edited by Via Sierra; 8th June 2020 at 22:10. Reason: clarification

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Via Sierra View Post
    Thanks Rick.

I saw a thread here on the Forum, which was too old to reply to, that referred to Les Baer Comanche defects or a defect, "slingshot". Which I interpreted, that after spent/empty mag lock back; empty mag ejected and a fresh-loaded mag inserted; a pull back and let-go of the slide failed to release the slide lock, so the slide could load/strip-off the top round of the "new" magazine and go back into battery.

My Comanche does not have this problem, it works fine.
    Mine did for the first six years or so, but I knew that it could going in, and just used the slide stop to drop the slide after a reload.

Regardless of model name, since Les machines his 4 1/4” frames exactly the same as his 5” ones; it’s going to be the same anyway.
    "Sights are for the unenlightened."

Rick

IDPA Certified Safety Officer

Posts liked by others
    Les makes some fine guns and Nighthawk makes some fine guns.
    I used to own a bunch of Baer guns but I have gotten away from Baers because his demensions differ.
    I once fitted a aftermarket trigger to a Colt. a few file strokes top and bottom and it was done.
    I then did the same trigger on a Baer, it was about a hour of filing.
    The trigger opening on a Bear is much smaller than a Colt.
    Also on his commander guns he uses a full size frame and just shortens the dust cover.
    The rails also need to be shorten.
    This causes his shorter guns no to be able to be sling shotted and peening on the ejector.
    It only happen on some of them, not sure why.