Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Military Yearbook Reference Site

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Military Yearbook Reference Site

My father was a paratrooper in WW2. We had a military book of some type that I no longer have possession of.

There was a photo of his company in that book, along with all the names of the troops. Is there a site that might have the contents of such books?

-

Posts liked by others
    There is Mark Bando who is a WWII historian and author.
    Mark can be reached at www.101airborneww2.com or markbando@sbcglobal.net. This is old contact info, I haven't seen in in a few years.
    The history channel has had his work.

Posts liked by others
    Do you know his old unit?

Posts liked by others
    Can't help with that. Very interesting gent, I know him from College and that was many years ago....

Posts liked by others
    Thanks, I'll try to contact Mark Bando.

There's not much I can remember except for a spider patch.

I believe I found a photo of it:

507th.jpg

So it would have been the 507th Parachute Infantry Regiment

-

Posts liked by others
    If you can't contact him, let me know (PM). He was local (former Detroit cop) I might be able to.

Posts liked by others
    Thanks, it's appreciated.

While searching around, I found a WWII database, but my fathers name wasn't listed.

I also found that a 507th 1943 yearbook was printed. Looking at a photo of the 1943 yearbook cover, it could very well be the book we had. It is apparently now selling for hundreds, but searching further, the entire book had been transferred to CD as a .pdf file. And searching further yet, I found that CD on ebay for $15, so took a chance and bought it.

Should have it in about a week. If his unit was in the 507th, I may gain enough information to research exactly which battle he was in.

-

Posts liked by others
    My memory of that "spider" paid off.

My father was indeed in the 507th, 3rd Battalion.

I sent Mark Bando an email.

-

Posts liked by others
    Was this the database you tried?

https://aad.archives.gov/aad/

Posts liked by others
    No, it was a different one, which I can't recall the name of now.

But thanks, that one did have enlistment information.

-

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast