Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: New Les Baer

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

New Les Baer

It's day #24 of my 10 day waiting period and the California D.O.J. finally approved my purchase. So many people are buying guns that Sacramento is that far behind with the paperwork. Mine is a Les Baer Premier II. Only change i made was to install Pachmayr Signature Grips. I have them on all my 1911s. The seller said he bought it, put 300 rounds through it then decided he wanted a different Les Baer model, hence he was selling. This is my first 1911 with adjustable sights, and my first with night sights. I'm looking forward to putting rounds through this one!

Left side.jpg Right Side - to share.jpg
    i sold all my handguns. . . . . . . . . . except for the 1911 style pistols in .45 ACP.
    Last edited by MuyModesto; 22nd May 2020 at 17:38. Reason: trying (unsuccessfully) to delete duplicate photo.

Posts liked by others
    Update - after a trip to the indoor range. . . . . . . . in dry fire practice in our garage I became concerned about being able to see the very narrow front sight. From years of dry fire practice I knew our garage was better lit than the local indoor range. Hence I was anticipating a bigger problem at range day. Range day was yesterday. Even though I had a lamp right above me in my lane at the indoor range I couldn't see the front sight most of the time. it seems my low-light vision isn't so good now that I'm 70. When I could see the sight, those few times, this pistol's accuracy was indeed quite pleasing. But, most of the time it felt like that day when I had to qualify at work and the front sight had fallen off of my Colt.

If I had a membership at an outdoor range I would keep this amazing pistol, but such is not the case. I'll clean the gun later today, then put it up for sale.

Sight picture.jpg
    i sold all my handguns. . . . . . . . . . except for the 1911 style pistols in .45 ACP.
    Last edited by MuyModesto; 4th June 2020 at 08:40.

Posts liked by others
    If you like the pistol, why not change the sights?
    maybe a set of big dots?

Posts liked by others
    Agree w/ Norton. Look at alternate front sights.

Options to consider:
    Thinner blade front
    Fiber optic
    Big dot and a corresponding rear notch - these are not the best for accuracy but they are fast.
    White dot front
    Gold bead

Don't give up, it's a great gun. Take your time, evaluate options and then if you still think you need to sell the Baer the delay won't make any difference to the sale.

I struggle with front sights too. I can feel 'em, just can't hardly see 'em.

Jim

Posts liked by others
    Agree.
    In your jurisdiction, it would be smart to try a different front sight.

I don't know which one, I mostly use fiber optic these days but the poor lighting on most indoor ranges really cuts down on their advantage.

I don't understand indoor range design. The targets are well illuminated... at some distances, but the lights over the firing line are weak

Posts liked by others
    Best shooting gun I own is my Les Baer Premier II. I would definitely research a different sight rather than give up the gun...and I'm 70 with cataracts...

Posts liked by others
    You have an excellent 1911 in that Premier II, look around for a different front sight for that gun. You’ll appreciate it more if you have sights you can use effectively. Brownells is great place to start you search.

Posts liked by others
    It is unanimous that my fellow 1911 enthusiasts feel i should alter my plans for this pistol. I discussed it with my gunsmith yesterday and plan to decide the issue today or tomorrow. Thanks everybody for your input on this.
    Likes (1) :
    Rick McC. (21st June 2020)

Posts liked by others
    Decision made - it's no longer for sale. Since I live in California I had to pay the state fee (under $40), and will have to wait another 10 days before I can bring it home from the gun shop. Don't ask why, please.
    Likes (1) :
    Rick McC. (21st June 2020)