Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: Remington Rand Help

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Remington Rand Help

I have a 1944 Remington Rand that I just purchased. It bas a Colt Slide. Is it common for the slides to get mixed up if it was sent to be refurbished at the end of ww2.
    my next question is .... The gun is Blued and not parkerized. Most of the 1911A1's I see are Parkerized and not blued. My plans are to turn it into a like new 1911 as I can.
    I will be changing the slide.to a Remington Rand Slide but everyone I have found are parkerized. Can the 1911a1 that I have be parkerized or would you have it reblued? im getting into something I've never done before so any help will be much appreciated.

Posts liked by others
    Welcome to the forum.

Parkerized in 1944 from all the makers. You could have it parkerized but have all the blue stripped chemically first. Parkerizing over blue comes out too dark from examples I've observed.

"Mixed up" is the normal condition if the pistol stayed in govt hands very long.

Posts liked by others
    All depends on how much you're willing to spend, but for the same money in the end you probably would find an all correct REMRAND.
    Originality can't be restored, so put "originality" at the top of a priority list. If JMB didn't put it on the 1911 you don't need it.

Posts liked by others
    In answer to another part of your question: Yes, it was very common for slides of one make to be put on frames of another make during rebuilds.

Are you aware that the Civilian Marksmanship Program (CMP) has recently been selling surplus 1911s? A great many of the CMP pistols in the lower tiers of condition seem to have been "mixmasters."
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside

Posts liked by others
    If you want an authentic look, have it Parkerized. It was part of the military refurbishment process.
    Likes (1) :
    MuyModesto (16th May 2020)

Posts liked by others
    Thanks to all of you for your help. I think I will find a Remington slide and then have it parkerized. I don’t think this gun has ever been thru a military refurbished program. It has no markings to show that it has. I’m going to post a couple photos that may be of help to find out what it really is. Thanks.

Posts liked by others
    It may take a little while until I learn how to post the photos. Lol

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by HUDSON View Post
    Thanks to all of you for your help. I think I will find a Remington slide and then have it parkerized. I don’t think this gun has ever been thru a military refurbished program. It has no markings to show that it has. I’m going to post a couple photos that may be of help to find out what it really is. Thanks.
    If it was completely refurbished at one of the government armories, then it would have gotten a stamp, such as 'AA' for Augusta Arsenal or 'AN' for Anniston Arsenal. If it was repaired at the unit level it wouldn't have been marked.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside

Posts liked by others
    Using a 80 year old gun as the base for a custom project might not be the best idea for a number of reasons.
    Starting with a mismatched finish altered gun, the. Spending more money to end up with a mismatched finish altered gun doesn’t seem to make sense either.
    During military service slides could be mixed up at anywhere from military unit level up to depot overhaul.
    While it has long been held belief ( by myself too) that all military rebuilds would be stamped by the facility doing the work it is now a reliable fact many guns Arsenal rebuilt did not get marked.

Posts liked by others
    Swapping parts around to get a "correct" gun is common among Garand fans, but is frowned upon by 1911 collectors. They will look at wear marks and little tells of time of manufacture and consider a "corrected" gun undesirable. And it is expensive, too.
    Likes (1) :
    Sergio Natali (24th May 2020)