Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: Colt Magazine

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Smile Colt Magazine

Does anyone know or remember when the last time the Rampant Pony appeared on the bottom
    of a Colt magazine? Have seen some magazines without it and was just wondering. Many
    thanks! Duane

Posts liked by others
    I can’t remember the last time I saw one like that, Chief.

Any of the Colt mags I have probably aren’t any more than 10 years old.

I have a very minty Colt Lt. Commander, but I don't recall any mags coming with it. No box and papers either, but it was made in 1985.

7BCDEA4A-C523-4FD8-A731-4D114ACDF689.jpeg

I’m sure you’ll recognize the rank.
    "Sights are for the unenlightened."

Rick

IDPA Certified Safety Officer

Posts liked by others
    Late issue Colt 1911 magazines have had the pony and a drain hole in the front since ~1980s. Slightly earlier Colt magazines had the drain hole beginning ~1970s. Colt magazines without the pony or drain holes are earlier than that. I've never observed a genuine late Colt magazine without these features, however, many of the fakes don't have either feature.

Do you have photos?

Posts liked by others
    Not sure this is what you are talking about. The pistol on the left is a 2015 GCT and the one on the right is a 2018 GCT-Lite. One mag is made by Checkmate and the other by Metalform. Actually took this picture to show the difference in the bottom of frame in the grip area.

NRA Life Member

Posts liked by others
    Wow! I stand corrected, and will have to check out my Colt mags before long. I have so many 1911 mags, that most of the ones that came with new pistols are still in the pistol boxes.

Rick

Posts liked by others

Colt Magazine markings

d1911: Many thanks for the pics! The magazine I have looks like your 45 Mag, except mine has "45 Auto w/"8 - RD" below that. I also ran across a sticker on this mag w/the following written on it. "CTG 920992". This mag has
    never been in a pistol, just stored in the safe. That might be a clue as who made it?
    I also have 3 packages of NEW "Colt . 38 Super Magazines." All are stainless 9 - round - stainless. The bottom inscription is the same. The only place you see "9 magazines" is on the package itself.
    Tis hard to tell who made them and why the placement of wording is where you find it. Maybe the person who made them was having a bad day and wanted to be different? Take care and have a great
    weekend and week ahead! Sincerely, Duane

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by CWO/RET View Post
    d1911: Many thanks for the pics! The magazine I have looks like your 45 Mag, except mine has "45 Auto w/"8 - RD" below that. I also ran across a sticker on this mag w/the following written on it. "CTG 920992". This mag has
    never been in a pistol, just stored in the safe. That might be a clue as who made it?
    I also have 3 packages of NEW "Colt . 38 Super Magazines." All are stainless 9 - round - stainless. The bottom inscription is the same. The only place you see "9 magazines" is on the package itself.
    Tis hard to tell who made them and why the placement of wording is where you find it. Maybe the person who made them was having a bad day and wanted to be different? Take care and have a great
    weekend and week ahead! Sincerely, Duane
    Are there any single letters on the baseplate; such as “c” for CheckMate, or “m” for Metalform?

Rick

Posts liked by others
    Here are the bottoms of my mags that came in my 01991 I bought new in 2018 or 19.

Colt mag.jpg
    Ron
    Likes (1) :
    Rick McC. (17th May 2020)

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron IL View Post
    Here are the bottoms of my mags that came in my 01991 I bought new in 2018 or 19.

Colt mag.jpg
    Both made by CheckMate.

Rick