Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: Looking for something similar to my STI Guardian

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Looking for something similar to my STI Guardian

I have an STI Guardian in 9mm I am in love with. They don't make it anymore. I love the fit, the trigger (Brazos custom trigger) and finish and it shoots just fun and easy. Probably the best money I spent on a gun. Ever. This is called an "officer" although the barrel is 3.9" in length. Still confused about the different sizes as there is no clear cut off. I would like to spend $1500 or less on another gun that would be of similar quality in a very similar size (right around 4" barrel). My buddy has a Kimber Pro Carry but I don't think it was as nice to shoot and the trigger wasn't nearly as good. My carry is a P938 for now so carry is not my immediate goal, nor is competition. I just want to shoot plates for fun. Colt Commander caught my eye, but then someone told me to look at the Dan Wesson Vigil before buying (trying to handle one is tough during COVID). Anyone care to share some recommendations? BTW I prefer to buy new not used.

Posts liked by others
    OK I must be a real idiot because 44 views later not one suggestion. What am I missing?? Maybe I'm looking for something that doesn't exist? Not blaming anyone here maybe it's really just a dumb question!

Posts liked by others
    Point 1: In my personal opinion, a Commander-size pistol is not the best platform for shooting plates. When I competed weekly at a local range, I was shooting a Para-Ordnance P13.45 -- a double stack Commander. We didn't have steel plates as part of the competition every week, but we did on occasion. And, on one memorable occasion, I emptied a 10-round magazine and wasn't able to drop five plates. The RSO behind me confirmed that I was scoring hits, but the plates weren't falling. And this was a .45, not a 9mm.

The next week I bought a Para P14.45 -- a full-size pistol with a 5-inch barrel. No more problems with plates not falling when they were hit.

Colt has your gun. They currently offer a 9mm Combat Commander in 9mm for $999 MSRP, so it's well within your budget. This model has some of the enhanced features from the former XSE line, such as a beavertail grip safety and an undercut trigger guard where it meets the front strap.

The Dan Wesson Vigil Commander also looks like a solid contender. The Vigil lineup are Dan Wesson's more entry-level pistols, which means you don't get a lot of extra doodads and gimcrackery that drives the price up without significantly enhancing usability. It looks like a nice pistol and Dan Wessons generally get excellent reviews.

That said ... of the two, I would buy the Colt. Both have 4-1/4" barrels. The Colt has a steel frame, the Vigil is aluminum alloy. In competition, the steel frame will help absorb recoil and get you back on target a tad faster. Plus, for me, there's the intangible mystique of "Colt." That may well not be a factor for you, but it is for me.

If you really have your heart set on a 4-inch pistol. you could take a look at the Springfield Armory Range Officer Compact. The MSRP is $924, so it's also in your price range.
    https://www.springfield-armory.com/1...t-9mm-handgun/
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside
    Last edited by Hawkmoon; 15th May 2020 at 17:23.

Posts liked by others
    Hawkmoon THANK YOU. I should probably clarify something and it's my fault. When I mean shooting plates, I really meant casual shooting at the range with my family and friends (they have plates set up for fun shooting). I do not compete in any manner whatsoever except bullseye pistol and maybe sporting clays. I have several .45 gov't and love those, I just find the 9mm easy and fun to shoot and lighter and easier for others to get used to. I load a ton of lead cast bullets and have fun. I'm proud to say that I have more than handful of friends who "hate guns" who now have a pistol permit because they found it so fun. Double stack?? I'm in NY State, I'll get put to death for having anything beyond 10 rounds. Or is it 7? or 8? These idiots up here who make the laws still don't even know. I appreciate the advice I'll look at all of those guns.