Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: Impact location differences

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Impact location differences

Hello again. I am seeing a difference in locations from when I shot freehand and from a rest. Is this normal?? Im not a pistol guy....yet!
    I have a Kimber Gold combat that when resting the pica tiny rail, The impact goes into one tight hole at seven yards. However, when Im freehanding it, it impacts about an inch to the right. Several shots are lower also. Im a south paw, and Im holding the popular way of two handed, thumbs onto of each other, using a push pull hand hold method.
    The laser on my 22 walther does not produce this.
    The laser on my S&W bodyguard 380 hits 3 inches low shooting freehanded @ 7 yards, and while using a rest, it impacts dead on. The irons need a lot of help. Gold pin installed on front blade? They are a complete mess. But my eyes are not the greatest. I do use prescription glasses.
    Any advise would be appreciated.

Posts liked by others
    Sounds like the trigger pull is throwing the gun off point of aim. When you rest the gun itself on a rest, it is much more resistant to movement from the trigger pull.

More important than point of impact is group size. how does the group size, with many 5 shot groups, compare between rested and freehand?

Point of impact can always be adjusted. Group size (accuracy) must be developed.

For trigger pull problems, the "wall drill" can be useful. Dry fire against a blank wall, watching only the alignment of the sights. They should remain aligned right up to point of the hammer dropping. If a laser, the dot should remain as stationary as possible right up to the point of the hammer dropping. Use snap caps if recommended for the particular guns.

It's generally recommended to not rest the barrel or some forward part of a handgun on a rest. The gun should be held just as it would be for freehand shooting, with only the hands or rear part of the frame on the rest. This allows the gun to recoil in the same way.

-
    Likes (1) :
    MuyModesto (15th February 2020)

Last edited by megafiddle; 14th February 2020 at 23:06.