Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: Wrist support

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Wrist support

I love shooting my 1911, however the recoil doesn't love me. I am 75 and have arthritis in my wrist. After 30 or so rounds my wrist hurts and I start anticipating the recoil. Any other old people have similar issues and how do you deal with it? Any effective braces out there?

Posts liked by others
    I am also 75 and standard loads will soon kick me into a flinch, too.
    I seldom shoot anything stouter than midrange target loads; a 200 at 700 is a lot more manageable.
    Haven't tried a brace.

Posts liked by others
    With all due respect to my seniors, I am only 70. I hand load my own and keep the powder charge (and therefore recoil) to a much lower level. My magazines are always loaded-up for the next two upcoming range days. Mixed in with those reduced power loads are a few factory Federal 230gr Hydra-Shok rounds here & there. Between the time I load the magazines and the range day I always forget where those few factory rounds are in that pile of magazines. That way i don't know when those ones with the big recoil are about to make their presence felt on range day. My accuracy with the full power rounds has increased significantly by doing this. Also at $1.25 per shot, only firing a few of them is better for the budget.
    i sold all my handguns. . . . . . . . . . except for the 1911 style pistols in .45 ACP.

Posts liked by others
    I love my 9mm Taurus and it is the one that goes inside my waist band but the magic and simplicity of the tried and true M1911 is something I love. Mine is a Philippians clone but is true to the original form. Not enough leaves on the money tree for a real one. I just ordered a wristbrace and am goingto see whatthat does.

Posts liked by others
    Do you reload? If so, give serious consideration to making some less than full power loads for your plinking pleasure.

I came to that via a different route. After being out of the game for a number of years because life intervened, I decided that 2020 was the year I was going to get back into IDPA competition. I've renewed my membership, and reviewed the new rules. A year ago I accompanied a friend who was competing in a local club match to get a feel for the level of competition and the way that club runs events. What I observed, and which was confirmed by my friend, was that EVERYBODY was shooting 9mm. I own 1911s, almost all of which are .45 ACP. My 9mm Commander is a single stack Colt, and it has been shot so much (by a previous owner) that the barrel link pin falls out when the gun is detail stripped. There's no way I'm going to beat that poor thing up shooting it in competition.

Then I stumbled across an article on the Shooting Times web site about lighter loads. Wonder of wonders, the author based the article in Winchester 231 powder, which I use, and Berry's bullets (which I also use). The article provided a recipe for a .45 ACP load that just barely equals the minimum power factor for 9mm ammo in IDPA. It meant that I had to buy different bullets than the 230-grain round-nose I had been loading for years, but that was no big deal. I bought a small batch of the new bullets (185-grain, round-nose, hollow base), loaded them up, and tried them. Very nice -- easy to shoot.

And then COVID-19 came along, and who knows if I'll shoot any matches this year? But I have the "geezer" load, and it works. I'm loading that now more than I load the 230-grain ammo, because it's just more fun to shoot.

https://www.shootingtimes.com/editor...#ixzz5D6mJdC7P
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside
    Likes (2) :
    DocWyatt (8th May 2020), MuyModesto (8th May 2020)

Posts liked by others
    I light load most everything. 9mm, 45, 44 Special and 38 Special.

Found Badman Bullets https://www.badmanbullets.com/OnlineStore/index.php Great product and service. They have 160 gn RN 45s and 165 gn RN 44s. The lighter bullets really help. I'm using AA#2 and TiteGroup. I spring the 1911s accordingly. Only problem is the load often is of such low pressure that the case doesn't expand sufficiently to seal against the chamber. Not necessarily bad but a lot of crud comes backward.

Being old and broken stinks. I shoot about 2 mags of standard 45 and decide it isn't any fun anymore.

Jim

Posts liked by others
    Thought I'd add to this but from a direction other than gun & ammo.

Years ago I tore a ligament in my wrist. In an effort to try to support the structure and keep the bones from migrating I've used a variety of wrist braces. The full hand wraps seem to alleviate some of the pain but build up enough bulk in the thumb and palm area that gripping a pistol is difficult, range of motion is also reduced. For me the best compromise is a simple Ace Bandage wrap designed for wrist support. Doesn't solve many of the problems but does help some. Unfortunately for it to work at any real level of support it needs to be fairly tight. Circulation becomes a concern.

It's really more effective, at least for now, to reduce the recoil.

Jim

Posts liked by others
    A good many years ago I was the goalie on my college's soccer team. I suffered a badly sprained wrist at one point, and for a long time thereafter I had to wear one of these: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07G4JCSJ7...osi&th=1&psc=1

They aren't bulky. There is material in the web between the thumb and the first finger, and that material will be what contacts the grip safety, but it's no more than what a typical shooting glove uses. I think between one of these and some light loaded, "geezer" ammunition it should help quite a bit.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside