Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Feed Ramp

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiskey View Post
    I'll just buy the whole check mate magazine. Would I be wrong in saying these magazine will not chew up the aluminum on the sides or drive the cartridge into the feed ramp?
    Yes. Any mag without a Devel style follower should not damage the feed ramp.
    "Sights are for the unenlightened."

Rick

IDPA Certified Safety Officer

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick McC. View Post
    Yes. Any mag without a Devel style follower should not damage the feed ramp.
    Not quite correct. The early attempts at fitting 8 rounds into a 7-round mag tube involved shortening the rear/vertical leg of the follower. This allowed the nose of the follower to tip forward and gouge the feed ramp, same as the Devel-style follower. I won't use mags with those shortened GI-style followers. I keep standard GI-style followers in the parts drawer and I retrofit any short-leg magazine I have the misfortune to obtain using a proper follower.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside
    Likes (1) :
    Rick McC. (27th April 2020)

Posts liked by others
    I just grabbed my Kimber Crimson Carry, looked at the feed ramp closely and it's shiny and smooth as if it was chrome plated. I rotate between 2 Wilson Combat and 2 original Kimber mags with no problems. I have right at 500 rounds through the pistol. Plus, before retirement, in my line of work, I dealt with various types of metals and there's some aluminum alloys that are mighty hard and abrasion resistant compared to non-alloy soft aluminum.
    Ok so this follower and spring is what I would need so I don't keep hitting the feed ramp?
    Just looked and the mag that came with my Kimber, after inserting it, there's quite an amount of clearance between the follower and the feed ramp. Who made it for Kimber, I don't know. Just me, but as far as fit, finish, and feel, I think the Wilson Combat mag is a nicer quality product.
    Last edited by JD11; 30th April 2020 at 08:58.

Posts liked by others
    I will post a pic soon of what it looks like now. If people were to expand that last pic you'll see why I made this thread. Its so bad that it looks like pitting, gouges / scrapes, etc. When I took this thing home I cleaned it and did get lost of build up out of it. The person or people who had it before me guess never cleaned it. This Kimber was real dirty.

So I kept looking round the net wondering why my issue wasn't talked of. Found nothing of the sort which made me re question everything. People who replied gave me good things to look at and purchase. So the other night I gave it a deep soaking / cleaning. Spent bout an hour n a half cleaning the dang thing paying very close attention to the barrel, ramp, and throat. Being careful not to polish the feed ramp like I was told I was very surprised what I found.

Everything looking like some scratch, pitting, etc was build up of gun powder or dirt. I used a tooth pick at times to pick the stuff off the ramp. This was the worst firearm I have ever seen not cleaned.

I'll post picks soon

Posts liked by others
    Here's what it looks like now. Night n day difference. You can see where there were two failure to feed it looks like with the hits on the feed ramp. You'll be abe to see where the metal feed lip started to cut / dig into the side of the frame too.

1911km.jpg

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by JD11 View Post
    Just looked and the mag that came with my Kimber, after inserting it, there's quite an amount of clearance between the follower and the feed ramp. Who made it for Kimber, I don't know. Just me, but as far as fit, finish, and feel, I think the Wilson Combat mag is a nicer quality product.
    They all have plenty of clearance if you just punch an empty magazine into the pistol and look at it. The problems arise when the early 8-round magazines (either with Devel-style followeres or the short-leg GI-style followers) feed the last round. The short vertical (rear) leg of those followers allows the follower to tip forward as the last round chambers, and the sharp tip of the follower gouges the feed ramp.

7-round GI followers don't do that. The patented Check-Mate follower is an improvement on the Devel style follower. The main part of the Check-Mate follower is like the Devel, but Check-Mate added a "skirt" to the front that prevents the follower from doing a forward nose dive into the feed ramp.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside
    Likes (1) :
    Rick McC. (1st May 2020)

Posts liked by others
    I would shoot it first and see what you got.
    Sub compact 1911's go through recoil springs as fast as 500 rounds.
    So if I bought it used and didn't know how many rounds the old owner put through it, I would be thinking about replacing that.
    Kimber sells them and EGW makes one that replaces it with a single flatwire spring that may go over 500 rounds.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkmoon View Post
    They all have plenty of clearance if you just punch an empty magazine into the pistol and look at it. The problems arise when the early 8-round magazines (either with Devel-style followeres or the short-leg GI-style followers) feed the last round. The short vertical (rear) leg of those followers allows the follower to tip forward as the last round chambers, and the sharp tip of the follower gouges the feed ramp.

7-round GI followers don't do that. The patented Check-Mate follower is an improvement on the Devel style follower. The main part of the Check-Mate follower is like the Devel, but Check-Mate added a "skirt" to the front that prevents the follower from doing a forward nose dive into the feed ramp.
    Gotch'a, thanks very much for the explanation. As some others have said, it was designed for 7 rounds, so that's all I use and am familiar with.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by T-TAC View Post
    I would shoot it first and see what you got.
    Sub compact 1911's go through recoil springs as fast as 500 rounds.
    So if I bought it used and didn't know how many rounds the old owner put through it, I would be thinking about replacing that.
    Kimber sells them and EGW makes one that replaces it with a single flatwire spring that may go over 500 rounds.
    Thank you, I did not know this. I agree with the recoil spring replacement and have been looking for a new spring and guide rod. I have seen some (Wilson mostly) not use the Kimber guide rod assembly and looks to work well. Plus little easier to take apart....then again Kimber has a magnetic tool which looks great to use, without nicking the face of the guide rode assembly. The face of mine is nicked up.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12