Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: M1911 Ball ammo boxes

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

M1911 Ball ammo boxes

I have seen innumerable images of military M1911 ball ammo 50-round boxes. I just stumbled across a site showing 20-round boxes. This is something I never knew about.

https://www.ammogarand.com/45acpfrarlot.html

Does anyone know how these boxes were made? The 50-round boxes were all one piece of cardboard (or heavy paper) and was folded up into a box that didn't need any glue or tape, and that didn't have a separate lid.

These 20-round boxes sort of look like they might have an inner tray wrapped in an out sleeve, like wooden match boxes. Does anyone know? The ad mentioned that the boxes are sealed. How were they sealed?
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside

Posts liked by others
    I have several of those 20 round boxes but never opened one. You pull the cloth tabs at the end to tear open the box. I believe the paper wrapper holds the box together. I seem to remember the interior of the box compartmentalized on one open box I observed, but I might be mistaken.

Posts liked by others
    No, you were not mistaken.

https://www.gunsinternational.com/gu...01041405#lg-13

How heavy is the cardboard? Is it about the same as a cereal box? Lighter? Heavier?

And can you tell me if there is any sort of cloth/fabric that's easily available today that could be used to simulate those pull tabs? Does the cloth run the full length of the box, or is it just two tabs at the ends?

Disclaimer: I am NOT gearing up to sell fake ammo boxes. I'm just using some self-isolation time to think about making up photo props for potential future pictures of guns.
    Hawkmoon
    Last edited by Hawkmoon; 27th April 2020 at 02:06.

Posts liked by others
    I'll dig out a box if I can recall where I have some stored. As I recall the cardboard thicker than cereal box material and the cloth strip runs the length of the box. The cloth fairly thin I think; possibly made from grosgrain type ribbon.

Posts liked by others
    I’ve had this one for 10+ years. It was a gift from a friend who received it (along with a 1911) from a very old friend of his.

The old friend brought them home with him after the war.

As I recall, I believe this ammo is steel cased.

See my next post for a Pic.
    "Sights are for the unenlightened."

Rick

IDPA Certified Safety Officer
    Last edited by Rick McC.; 21st May 2020 at 18:32.

Posts liked by others
    My apologies for not posting an update. It turns out that there's a person on eBay who has reproduction 20-round and 50-round M1911 ammo boxes for sale. His price is less than what it would cost me to buy just the materials to make up boxes -- and I would have no way to print the label directly onto the 50-round boxes, because the cardboard is too thick to run through either a laser printer or an inkjet. So I bought some.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/theammoboxg...p2047675.l2562

The 50-round boxes are quite nice. The 20-round boxes, though, have a problem. The end flaps of the originals were apparently glued. Theammoboxguy has an adhesive patch already applied to his, with a removable cover strip over the adhesive. The adhesive doesn't hold. The boxes open up overnight. I haven't done it yet, but I will probably apply a few dabs of carpenter's glue and clamp them overnight to see if that might be more permanent.
    Hawkmoon

Posts liked by others
    Here’s the full ammo box I have:

A303C710-2F9E-4967-89B0-EC1753984746.jpeg
    "Sights are for the unenlightened."

Rick

IDPA Certified Safety Officer