Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who here conceal carry's a 5" barrel 1911 every day?

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Who here conceal carry's a 5" barrel 1911 every day?

Guys,

Since the recent craziness, I've broken out several holsters and been carrying my standard government model 1911. I've used this time to try different holsters and get used to carrying. I carry mostly in a IWB concealed holster. Typically at the 4 o'clock position. Overall I've found the full size to be ok to carry every day, but not really comfortable.

For the guys that carry the 5", what is your experience? Do you find it comfortable? I'm thinking of switching to a Combat Commander or Sig C3, but they're not really that much smaller. Just wondering what your experiences are and tips you have. Thanks!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Mopar guy - Looking for clean rust free 69 Charger or parts car.
    www.dixierestorationparts.com
    Likes (2) :
    DocWyatt (7th December 2020), PolyKahr (12th April 2020)

Posts liked by others
    I carry most days a full size 5"1911. In the winter I use a pancake style OWB holster, a Mitch Rosen 5JR. In summers I use a Summer Special style IWB. I find both to be pretty comfortable. The weapon fits pretty close to the body. and has no protrusions so it is pretty easy to conceal. If you are going to use an IWB, there seems no reason to go to a Commander, since where it is smaller is in the barrel, not the grip, and the barrel is inside your pants.

Interestingly, years ago I looked at a smart carry. The maker of that product apparently carried a Government Model in it every day. I point this out not because I endorse Smart Carry, but to show that the gun is very concealable on most people.

Wade
    Likes (1) :
    A34 (13th April 2020)

Last edited by PolyKahr; 12th April 2020 at 18:43.

Posts liked by others
    I have carried a government model for several years. Most of the time I carry OWB at 3:00 using a holster similar to the DeSantis Thumb Break Holster 1911 P14. When carrying IWB, I use a Milt Sparks Summer Special, again at 3:00. OWB was easy to get used to, IWB on the other hand took a while to get used to. The first time carrying IWB, was very painful after 3 hours . It took several times before I could go all day IWB. Both are leather holsters that are over 20 years old.
    Likes (1) :
    A34 (13th April 2020)

Posts liked by others
    Thanks for the feedback guys! I didn't intend for this to be a typical holster recommendation post. Most of these holster designs are very similar. What makes one brand more comfortable than the other? I sure don't know.

I guess a lot of this depends on body type/specs. I've tried to carry with the pistol in front and that doesn't work for me when I sit down. The 4-4:30 works best for me for IWB. OWB seems to be ok, but much harder to conceal and living in GA, in the summer, oh brother.

I love the 1911 and want to continue to carry it. Here's the IWB I've been using. It doesn't look much different than other ones offered on the market, except that it is lined for a little less wear and tear. Trying lots of holsters to find the right one is all well and good, but expensive. I've already got 4 that I don't like. Ugh. Too bad there aren't holster stores like men's clothing stores where you can bring your pistol and try various holsters in the store. There's a concept!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Posts liked by others
    I carry a 1911 everyday, but it’s not always concealed. When I’m working it’s on a duty belt in a retention holster but concealed carry is a Kramer IWB #2 that I’ve had for at least 25 years. A quality belt and holster will make or break your comfort level when packing nearly 3 pounds of steel on your waistline. Unfortunately I spent money on holsters years ago that was simply wasted because the holsters weren’t either comfortable or concealable. Your wardrobe will play a part also, so keep that in mind. Hope this helps.
    Likes (1) :
    Rick McC. (25th April 2020)

Posts liked by others
    I do in the winter but summertime it's an LC9.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by A34 View Post
    Thanks for the feedback guys! I didn't intend for this to be a typical holster recommendation post. Most of these holster designs are very similar. What makes one brand more comfortable than the other? I sure don't know.

I guess a lot of this depends on body type/specs. I've tried to carry with the pistol in front and that doesn't work for me when I sit down. The 4-4:30 works best for me for IWB. OWB seems to be ok, but much harder to conceal and living in GA, in the summer, oh brother.

I love the 1911 and want to continue to carry it. Here's the IWB I've been using. It doesn't look much different than other ones offered on the market, except that it is lined for a little less wear and tear. Trying lots of holsters to find the right one is all well and good, but expensive. I've already got 4 that I don't like. Ugh. Too bad there aren't holster stores like men's clothing stores where you can bring your pistol and try various holsters in the store. There's a concept!
    There can be quite a difference in IWB holster design, particularly the lower end of the holster.

I’ve found the Brommeland Gunleather Max-Con V to be the most comfortable for me when carrying longer pistols, as the design spreads pressure out, rather than pushing into a nerve cluster. I current own five, three of which are in various 1911 sizes.

They’re not cheap, but the worst thing is the wait time, as Gary is a one man shop.

http://brommelandgunleather.com/products.htm

I carried 5” 1911s for many years, and still do on occasion, though I more often carry Commander sized ones now. The choice is driven by the pistols I have and favor, not the size particularly.
    "Sights are for the unenlightened."

Rick

IDPA Certified Safety Officer
    Likes (2) :
    DocWyatt (7th December 2020), rnfuller (31st July 2020)

Last edited by Rick McC.; 21st April 2020 at 19:19.

Posts liked by others
    I only carry OWB, in a Galco Concealable, Avenger or a Cedar Ridge, Davis (Dave Cox) Liberty. The Liberty is like the Galco Avenger. Dave also makes the Gunsite OMEGA holster, which I also have and use when in the field.
    Last edited by ultra45; 22nd April 2020 at 16:07.

Posts liked by others
    Thanks for the feedback guys!

Posts liked by others
    I carry a RIA Rock Ultra FS (5") .45 in a Blackhawk SERPA CQC. I barely notice the size or weight. Very comfortable. No concealment issues.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast