Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

Dear members,
Please make sure the email address we have for you, is correct and valid.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: Something potentially useful from Microsoft

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Something potentially useful from Microsoft

... For a change.

I confess that I have no love for Microsoft. I also have no love for Apple, so I run my computers on Windows, but I dislike the way Microsoft puts out buggy software and uses us as unpaid beta testers, I detest the new ribbon interface that Microsoft has forced on us in Office (thank goodness we can still get usable menus in Libre Office and SoftMaker FreeOffice), and the "Metro" interface in Windows 10 is so horrible I can't even begin to think about it. That said, Microsoft has just come out with an unpublicized add-on that might be of help for some forum members.

Those who have been with us for awhile know that photos must be limited to a size of 1024x768 (or 768x1024) to post them on this site. But no cell phone or digital camera offers that size, and most offer only 800x600 or else resolutions that are orders of magnitude larger than 1024x768, so resizing is necessary. Photobucket used to allow resizing from within their site, but Photobucket got greedy and nearly destroyed the Internet, so we won't talk about them.

There are image editing programs that allow resizing. In fact, even Microsoft paint will do it -- it's a bit easier in the Windows 10 version than in the XP version, but both only allow resizing of one image at a time. Freeware packages such as Faststone and IrfanView will do bulk resizing, but they are perhaps more complex than many of you want to deal with.

Microsoft to the rescue (believe it or not!).

A long time ago, under which version of Windows I no longer remember, Microsoft quietly released a batch of little utilities called "Power Toys." These seem to have been useful little things that Microsoft code monkeys had come up with as "cool things" but which didn't make the cut for inclusion in Windows, but which were useful enough that they were released for the use of those who knew about them.

Power Toys are back! Not the same power toys, but some new and different ones. Most of them are of no interest to me, and probably not to most of our members. One of them, however, could be just what many of you have been wishing for: a batch image resizer. Read about it here:

https://www.howtogeek.com/665780/all...-10-explained/

From the article:

Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside
    Likes (2) :
    John (8th April 2020), rkammer (12th April 2020)

Posts liked by others
    I can confirm that this utility works fine for me and I still use Windows 7 Premium.
    Regards,
    Ray K
    Central Florida