Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: best 1911 .45 used for the money under $500

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

best 1911 .45 used for the money under $500

my dad had a 60's Colt Gold Cup National Match... I have only the magazines now... I want to buy a used 1911 on gunbroker and and watching some Auto Ordinance and a Rock Island which is a bit more modern with features and cheaper.... but really have limited knowledge... what brands and models would be the best bet... I want only USA made unless I could get a CZ .45 for that price.... thanks so much.

Posts liked by others
    If you want made in the USA, you can take Rock Island off your list. They are good guns, but they are made in the Philippines.

Made in the USA would include Colt (of course), Springfield Armory, Auto-Ordnance, Sig Sauer, Ruger, Dan Wesson, Remington, Wilson Combat, Nighthawk Custom, and a host of custom and semi-custom brands I'm too tired to dredge up at the moment.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside

Posts liked by others
    thats funny about Rock Island my dad lives in the Philippines .... so no one or two that stands out... like look for a Springfield government model for the 60's or? no year or makes clear winners? an affordable gold cup national match for cheap real diamond in the rough? thanks

Posts liked by others
    It's more a question of what makes or models to avoid. For example, don't buy an Auto-Ordnance pistol that was made in West Hurley, NY. I advise people not to buy Taurus, but they're made in Brazil so probably not on your radar anyway.

Beyond that, my advice is just to avoid anything that has been "tuned up" or customized, unless the work was done by a known shop or gunsmith like Wilson Combat, Terry Tussey, etc., and the seller has the paperwork to prove it. I've had lots of problems with 1911s that had been "improved" by their previous owners. Some of them took a lot of work to restore to functional condition.
    Hawkmoon
    Last edited by Hawkmoon; 2nd April 2020 at 18:30.

Posts liked by others
    thanks man was watching 4 AO made in West Hurley, NY ..... and a tuned one ugh.

Posts liked by others
    I may just sell out and buy a Rock Island lol

Posts liked by others
    thank you so much for replying seriously thanks man

Posts liked by others
    Welcome to the group! I had an Auto Ordnance. The quality just wasn't there. It seemed to spend more time with the gunsmith than with me, with problem after problem. Not one regret on the day i sold it though.

For a bit more money ($715 if memory is right), I replaced the A.O. with a parkerized Springfield Mil-Spec. It's accurate and functions quite well. Only problem to date was on my last range day. The hammer was following to half-cock as the pistol cycled. It's in the shop to get that corrected now. Unlike the A.O., the Springfield is a "keeper".
    i sold all my handguns. . . . . . . . . . except for the 1911 style pistols in .45 ACP.

Posts liked by others
    Of course, until a few years ago Springfield Armory 1911s weren't made in the USA, either. They were made in Brazil, by Imbel. The lower-end pistols were completely finished in Brazil, the higher-end pistols had the parts shipped from Brazil to the USA and were assembled here, so they were able to stamp them as "Made in U.S.A." Semantics -- they were "made" in Brazil. I think any Springfield you find selling for less than $500 is likely to be a Brazilian pistol. That's not to impugn the quality, but the OP did say he preferred to buy a gun that was made in the USA.
    Hawkmoon

Posts liked by others
    I believe the Springfield Defender is now entirely made in the US and is less than 500 bucks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast