Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Unusual Markings on a 1943 Colt M1911A1

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others
    The frame military so no commercial C prefix serial number. Replacement Brazilian slide removes it from a military collectable. You could shoot that one without concern.

Posts liked by others
    Value as a shooter? I am looking for a collectible military...

Posts liked by others
    Difficult to say as values vary by region. Brazilian slide reduces the value. Import mark reduces it further yet.

Pistol shipped between 22 Jun and 02 Jul, 1943 to Transportation Officer, Springfield Armory and had a matching serial numbered slide. A possibility that Brazil acquired the pistol at some point, replaced the slide and disposed of it later as surplus. That might explain the import mark.

Posts liked by others
    Doran,
    Thank you so much for your time & effort. So your assessment is as follows: A Colt M1911A1 produced June-July '43 for the US...Brazil at some point, most probably post-war, acquired the
    pistol & either replaced the slide or placed their markings on the original US slide...the pistol was then imported back into the US...& finally at some point someone buffed the slide (somewhat poorly as they did not remove all of the markings) to "sanitize" it. Collector value $0 (a real bummer!) but "shooter" value is variable.

Posts liked by others
    The existing slide from a commercial pistol purchased from Colt by Brazil. You might check under the firing pin stop for a serial number.

That "bill board" style roll mark on the LHS an easy way to identify these slides. Colt put all their information on one side leaving the other side blank for whatever roll mark the purchasing country desired.

Posts liked by others
    You could procure a matching '43 slide to bring into spec.
    Mopar guy - Looking for clean rust free 69 Charger or parts car.
    www.dixierestorationparts.com

Posts liked by others
    That is not the worst idea! I still think I may sell as a shooter & procure are more desirable collector.So if anyone is interested in a very solid shooter well let me know!
    Likes (1) :
    A34 (1st April 2020)

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by drifter372 View Post
    That is not the worst idea! I still think I may sell as a shooter & procure are more desirable collector.So if anyone is interested in a very solid shooter well let me know!
    You know considering you own history with it and how you got it, keeping it wouldn't be the worst thing. It could be your shooter!!
    Mopar guy - Looking for clean rust free 69 Charger or parts car.
    www.dixierestorationparts.com

Posts liked by others
    That is also true! Which I have been considering as well...it was my first ever handgun & does have some great memories so me thinks I will have a shooter & eventually find a collector.
    Thanks fellas you all have been an enormous help.
    Semper Fi,
    Thomas G.
    LtCol USMC (Ret)
    Likes (1) :
    A34 (2nd April 2020)

Posts liked by others
    eBay or Gunbroker typically have many vintage slides listed with added target or high visibility sights. You could also have the sights upgraded on your Brazilian slide if you wish to keep it close to how you first acquired it.

Thank you for your service to our country.
    Likes (1) :
    A34 (2nd April 2020)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast