Saturday I went to two "farm supply" type stores where I normally buy practice ammunition. I went to two stores about ten miles from each other. Both stores almost completely out of ammunition and the counter men had no idea when they would get any more. The only calibers in any quantity: .270 Win, .300 WM and various 20ga birdshot/turkey loads. I'd noticed during the last shortage the only ones available were those two and 7mm Mag.

After living through several shortages I'd learned to keep plenty on hand. I intended to buy a few boxes for practice and not get into my inventory. I called my brother who lives in a very small town about sixty miles away. He'd bought some hundred packs there the week before and offered me one when we visit him this weekend.

I asked one of the counter men if he's sold many firearms since the panic started. He pointed to the display case and said, "That's all I have left." Several .22 auto pistols and a few revolvers. I should have asked him if he'd experienced any NICS delays.