Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New to me EMP 3 inch

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others
    Here are some pics of the EMP with a new MSH out of a colt government model. Big difference in size. It looks like they did the height difference in the grip in the MSH length and the grip safety looks the same on the full size and shorter grip.

Ron IL MSH 1.jpg
    Ron IL MSH 2.jpg
    Ron IL MSH 3.jpg
    Ron
    Likes (1) :
    Rick McC. (5th May 2020)

Posts liked by others
    I believe you’re right. The difference in the grip frame length between a Gov’t. Model and an Officer’s is 1/2”, and I agree with Hawk. I seriously doubt that they’d design a multitude of new parts a fraction of an inch different from standard ones. It just doesn’t make sense from either a manufacturing or cost standpoint.
    "Sights are for the unenlightened."

Rick

IDPA Certified Safety Officer
    Last edited by Rick McC.; 5th May 2020 at 20:05.

Posts liked by others
    I just read on the Springfield web page that the EMP 3 has 27 unique parts compared to a regular 1911. Hopefully in my lifetime the only thing I will have to worry about will be a recoil spring sometime. It sure is a good shooter and really likes my 147 gr reloads.
    Ron

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron IL View Post
    I just read on the Springfield web page that the EMP 3 has 27 unique parts compared to a regular 1911. Hopefully in my lifetime the only thing I will have to worry about will be a recoil spring sometime. It sure is a good shooter and really likes my 147 gr reloads.
    Did they say what parts? My guess:

• Frame
    • Slide
    • Firing pin
    • Extractor
    • Plunger tube
    • Plunger spring (?maybe?)
    • Trigger
    • Magazine tube
    • Magazine spring
    • Magazine follower
    • Magazine floor plate/base
    • Left grip panel
    • Right grip panel

But that's only eleven parts. I can't think of anything else that would be affected by taking that 1/8-inch slice out of the pistol. What am I missing?
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkmoon View Post

• Frame
    • Slide
    • Firing pin
    • Extractor
    • Plunger tube
    • Trigger
    • Magazine tube
    • Magazine spring
    • Magazine follower
    • Left grip panel
    • Right grip panel

But that's only eleven parts. I can't think of anything else that would be affected by taking that 1/8-inch slice out of the pistol. What am I missing?
    Good question. I’d like to see that list myself...
    "Sights are for the unenlightened."

Rick

IDPA Certified Safety Officer

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkmoon View Post

• Frame
    • Slide
    • Firing pin
    • Extractor
    • Plunger tube
    • Trigger
    • Magazine tube
    • Magazine spring
    • Magazine follower
    • Left grip panel
    • Right grip panel

- Ejector
    - Firing pin spring
    - (maybe) a lock plate for the magazine floor plate?

Also, if the parts count compares to a "regular 1911", as Ron writes, you can also add another eight parts: the four slim grip screws and another four slim grip screw bushings. And on the same somewhat misleading principle, maybe the sights as well, and the beavertail, and the recoil spring assembly, and...
    Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
    M. Setter

Posts liked by others
    Wikipedia has a page on them. It states there are 17 different parts. The downloaded manual for this gun is a combined manual for several models. They have parts breakdown and lists for them. One set is for the Mil-Spec. One page is for the Loaded version. One page is for the Hi Cap version. The last drawing is for the Micro Compact, the Ultra Compact, V-10, Compact, EMP 3, Emp 4, and the Champion models. They show all of them use the same MSH except the Mil-Spec uses an arched housing. I think the housing on the micro 3 has to be shorter than the full sized grip pistols. I guess if a guy needed parts he would have to go through Springfield to get the right part.
    Ron

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12