Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: Norinco 1911 9mm - magazines and extractor?

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Norinco 1911 9mm - magazines and extractor?

I have a Norinco 1911 in 9mm that has been giving me problems with reliability - I'm ready to sell it off (with a description of the issues I ran into), but figured that I'd give it a bit more attention.

Extractor - failure to extract problems - I removed the slide and spring and barrel, and the extractor wouldn't hold a loaded round securely - I figured that the extractor needed some tuning, so I removed the FP, FPS, spring, and the extractor - man, that extractor was in there very, very tight!! I've never had that problem with any of my other 1911s in 45 ACP - is that tightness common for a 9mm 1911 extractor? But now I gotta put the extractor back in and do the test with just a casing - and compare the Norinco to a Colt 1911 9mm and an RIA 1911 9mm. Any thoughts?

Magazines - I have several 1911 9mm magazines - the gun seems to run more reliably with some of them than others - I'm trying to figure out where the two mags came from in the pictures below. I'm trying to figure out if the mag that came with a Norinco 1911 9mm is the original mag (I'd guess not), or just a 1911 9mm mag that the seller picked up somewhere. I've looked at some pictures of a NIB Norinco 9mm 1911, with a magazine, for sale in Canada, and the magazines look nothing like any of the mags I have, so I'm guessing that the mag is NOT an original Norinco mag.

There's no manufacturer name marking on either mag - the chromed mag has a follower that has PATENTED 6.560.907, so at least the follower seems to be a Tripp follower (https://dawsonprecision.com/tripp-re...flex-follower/), but I'm not sure about the manufacturer of the mag body - the only other markings that the chromed mag has on it are 9MM stamped on the left-had side at the bottom near the base plate, and a small "s" stamped on the base plate near the front.

The other mag has absolutely no markings on it - and it has that unusual looking "forked" follower. This mag also has a "dimple" to retain the base plate.

Neither mag has a welded seam down the back, or anywhere else that I can see.

Any ideas on the manufacturer of either magazine, or a magazine that's worked well for you in a Norinco 9mm 1911? THANKS!

IMG_0828.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Reason: Fixed format tags

Posts liked by others
    The 'S' in the left magazine means "stainless". The follower number (6,560,907) is a patent number that belongs to Regina Vieweg. So it's made by Checkmate, but their mags typically have their brand on them... however they make the exact same mags for many, many 1911 makers and sellers out there.

If you're looking for welds, strip the mags and look on the inside of the walls. The welds (if any) are usually polished away on the outside.

The black magazine is nothing like any magazine I've seen: the baseplate is odd, the scalloped sides of the magazine body are weird, and I don't know what to make of the follower!

Regarding your extractor: 9mm extractor claws will often grab at the corner between the extractor tunnel and the breechface, because of the narrower fitting pad behind the extractor claw (necessary to reach further in/left than a .45 Auto extractor). That same bend also makes them drag against the tunnel, as you get them out of there.
    Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
    M. Setter
    Last edited by Spyros; 17th March 2020 at 03:39.

Posts liked by others
    Thanks for sharing your wisdom, Spyros. I increased the tension on the extractor, but without the appropriate tools to check the tension, it'll take a trip to the range to see if my garage gunsmithing helped or hurt the pistol.

I did learn a lot from this episode, though. I'm getting to the point where the guns I have like the Norinco 9mm 1911s, and other interesting-to-me guns, may be turning into sometimes frustrating projects, versus enjoyable hobbies like some of my other, more reliable, "mainstream", guns - Colt, Ruger, etc. For example, I was really intrigued with a Star FR Sport, so I bought it - turns out, parts were tough to come by, especially when the thumb safety got mangled - I had a guy TIG weld it back to OK, but it might have been more trouble than it was worth - meanwhile, my Ruger MK3 has plenty of parts available, shoots like a dream, and eats pretty much any ammo I put in it. Same thing with a 22LR kit I purchased for an EAA Witness - a nice CZ 75B clone - the Witness is nice and well-made, but the 22LR kit leaves a lot to be desired - fitting requirements, ammo sensitivity, and apparently no way to get the firing pin out or remove the firing pin block. Similar situation with a Walther G22, a 22LR bullpup. At 70 years old, getting bogged down in interesting isn't as fun as, well, just going out shooting - maybe if I was 20 and had another 50 years to learn more, I'd see it differently.
    Likes (2) :
    Rick McC. (16th March 2020), Spyros (16th March 2020)

Posts liked by others
    I agree with Spyros; that blued mag is like nothing I’ve ever seen before!
    "Sights are for the unenlightened."

Rick

IDPA Certified Safety Officer

Posts liked by others
    More on 9mm 1911 magazines - I came across what I think is an excellent article by Mas Ayoob about 1911 magazines, with a section about 9mm 1911 mags specifically - https://gunmagwarehouse.com/blog/3404-2/.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by texas yankee View Post
    More on 9mm 1911 magazines - I came across what I think is an excellent article by Mas Ayoob about 1911 magazines, with a section about 9mm 1911 mags specifically - https://gunmagwarehouse.com/blog/3404-2/.
    I find it interesting that Mas recommends Mec-Gar because some manufacturers use them. I'm quite certain that more 1911 makers ship their guns with Check-Mate magazines than with Mec-Gar mags, yet Mas doesn't even give Check-Mate a mention. He also says the EMP was designed around the 9mm round when, in fact, it was actually designed around the .45 GAP cartridge.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside
    Likes (1) :
    Spyros (17th March 2020)

Posts liked by others
    He also mentions that he doesn't like .45 mags that squeeze an 8th round in a space designed for seven. And almost immediately mentions that he likes the Wilson 47D, which, despite not having a flush metal basepad, kinda has the same internal space as a flush 7-rounder...

He didn't mention Checkmate, but he mentions liking recent production Colt mags, which tend to be Checkmates, and one or two of the other names he mentions in there may well have something to do with Checkmate as well...

(Shhh, be vewy vewy quiet)
    Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
    M. Setter

Posts liked by others
    As a sidenote, I discovered that Norinco 9mm 1911s aren't sold in the US - the US vendor that described the gun as a Norinco 1911 (and charged a premium for it!) either intentionally or mistakenly misled me - it's a Norinco 1911 frame, but the slide is not marked at all - probably just a 9mm 1911 slide he picked up somewhere and now it's mine - live and learn, I guess.