Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Just picked up a govenment model. What is the quality of these?

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by A34 View Post
    I've seen lots of reports on quality that vary from good to bad, sometimes based on where they were made. I was wondering what experiences folks on here have had. It shot pretty much like the .45 I had in the Army, which is what I was looking for. I suppose only time and more rounds will tell about this one's quality.
    The ones after Kahr took over should be pretty good.

I had an AO in the early ‘80’s that I returned to the store. It wouldn’t even chamber a round from the mag. I took it to a local gunsmith. He looked at it, and told me to return it. He wouldn’t even work on it.
    "Sights are for the unenlightened."

Rick

IDPA Certified Safety Officer
    Likes (1) :
    A34 (12th March 2020)

Posts liked by others
    Nice gun. It's quite recent production, it has a nicely rounded frontstrap, unlike the West Hurley and even some early Worcester MA pistols, and the bottom edge of the slidestop doesn't hang below the corner of the frame. These were the two ways you could tell an older AO from a current one. Pictures of some of the older guns were still on AO's website, last I checked.

And sorry, but someone has to say it: that's not a clip, it's a magazine.
    Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
    M. Setter

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Spyros View Post
    Nice gun. It's quite recent production, it has a nicely rounded frontstrap, unlike the West Hurley and even some early Worcester MA pistols, and the bottom edge of the slidestop doesn't hang below the corner of the frame. These were the two ways you could tell an older AO from a current one. Pictures of some of the older guns were still on AO's website, last I checked.

And sorry, but someone has to say it: that's not a clip, it's a magazine.

Thanks. I was under the impression that a clip is internal to the weapon and a magazine is external. Is that incorrect?
    Mopar guy - Looking for clean rust free 69 Charger or parts car.
    www.dixierestorationparts.com

Posts liked by others
    A clip loads the magazine, the magazine loads the firearm.
    Think loading, stripper clips for a AR, 1903, M14 or garand.
    Likes (2) :
    A34 (14th March 2020), Rick McC. (15th March 2020)

Posts liked by others
    A clip is used to close an open bag of chips. A magazine is loaded with rounds and inserted into a firearm so that it can be fired. Single shot firearms, tubular fed rifles and revolvers don’t have detachable magazines.

Rick

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick McC. View Post
    A clip is used to close an open bag of chips. A magazine is loaded with rounds and inserted into a firearm so that it can be fired. Single shot firearms, tubular fed rifles and revolvers don’t have detachable magazines.
    But lever action rifles (like The Rifleman's Winchester), pump and semi-auto shotguns, and some semi-automatic rifles DO have magazines -- just not detachable magazines. My grandfather's Winchester Model 1903 .22 had a tubular magazine that ran through the buttstock. The M1 Garand has a magazine -- internal, not detachable -- which is loaded with "en bloc" clips that are inserted into the magazine with the cartridges, and which are ejected when the last round fires.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside
    Likes (1) :
    A34 (18th March 2020)

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkmoon View Post
    But lever action rifles (like The Rifleman's Winchester), pump and semi-auto shotguns, and some semi-automatic rifles DO have magazines -- just not detachable magazines. My grandfather's Winchester Model 1903 .22 had a tubular magazine that ran through the buttstock. The M1 Garand has a magazine -- internal, not detachable -- which is loaded with "en bloc" clips that are inserted into the magazine with the cartridges, and which are ejected when the last round fires.
    That’s why I noted “tubular fed rifles;” but I did leave out shotguns.

Most of my shotguns, and all of my .22 rifles, are tubular fed. Of course, none of that has anything to go with folks calling magazines clips.

Rick

Likes (1) :
    A34 (18th March 2020)

Posts liked by others
    Oh yeah, I also have a 30WCF Model 94 carbine, and an old Remington .22 auto (built on the Browning patent) that loads the tubular magazine through a port in the side of the butt stock and ejects the spent brass out the bottom of the receiver.

That doesn’t have anything to do with removable magazines or chip clips, either.

Rick

Likes (1) :
    A34 (19th March 2020)

Posts liked by others
    All removable_magazines are magazines, but not all magazines are removable. The M1 Garand has a magazine, but it's not removable. The Mauser 98 has a magazine, but it's not removable. The SKS has a magazine, but it's not removable.

Bought to you courtesy of Pedantry-R-Us
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside
    Likes (3) :
    A34 (19th March 2020), PolyKahr (14th December 2020), Rick McC. (19th March 2020)

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkmoon View Post
    All removable_magazines are magazines, but not all magazines are removable. The M1 Garand has a magazine, but it's not removable. The Mauser 98 has a magazine, but it's not removable. The SKS has a magazine, but it's not removable.

Bought to you courtesy of Pedantry-R-Us
    And in case someone thought this wasn't enough pedantry, there's yet another category of magazine-fed guns, whose magazine is removable but YOU ARE NOT TO REMOVE IT PRIVATE!

I don't suppose we have any Brits here..?
    Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
    M. Setter
    Likes (1) :
    Rick McC. (19th May 2021)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast