Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Just picked up a govenment model. What is the quality of these?

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Just picked up a govenment model. What is the quality of these?

Hey Guys,

I just picked up a used government model and put 50 rounds through it. On the second to last clip, when I inserted the clip the slide went forward automatically. Only time it happened, maybe I accidentally released it. But, got me to wondering about the quality. I know it's not a high end 1911, but in general, what is the consensus on quality? Similar to a RIA? Better, worse?

Pic below. The stainless clip, I picked up at a pawn shop along with the ammo and "adult" snap 'n pops.

Thanks!

Auto Ordnance M1911a1.jpg
    Mopar guy - Looking for clean rust free 69 Charger or parts car.
    www.dixierestorationparts.com

Posts liked by others
    Was your Auto-Ordnance made in West Hurley, NY, or Worcester, MA?
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside

Posts liked by others
    It looks nice, I'd guess it's the latter, Hawkmoon.
    Pedro.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkmoon View Post
    Was your Auto-Ordnance made in West Hurley, NY, or Worcester, MA?
    Worcester, MA.

Posts liked by others
    A-O pistols were made in West Hurley when the company was owned by Numrich. Quality control on the West Hurley pistols was "spotty," and that's being charitable. Then Kahr Arms bought A-O and moved production to Worcester. In general, quality was greatly improved under Kahr's ownership.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside
    Likes (2) :
    A34 (10th March 2020), PolyKahr (8th June 2020)

Posts liked by others
    Thanks for the info!

Posts liked by others
    If you look at the list of forums on this web group you will find a thread about all the trouble I had with Auto Ordnance 1911. I bought a brand new Auto Ordnance 1911 BOKW in 2018. I had more trouble with that pistol than any other firearm I've ever owned. I put it on consignment and was delighted when it sold. I won't buy that brand again.
    i sold all my handguns. . . . . . . . . . except for the 1911 style pistols in .45 ACP.
    Likes (1) :
    A34 (11th March 2020)

Posts liked by others
    You can see my thread below on my experience so far with the AO. Had some bad early feeding issues with some bulk ammo, but steadily improved with break-in. Since this was my 1st 1911 I can't tell you how it compares to other brands.
    Likes (1) :
    A34 (11th March 2020)

Posts liked by others
    The couple of those that I’ve seen have been a very good value for what they cost.

I worked on one for a friend who wanted some serious internal upgrades, and was surprised at the quality of workmanship that I saw as I detail stripped the pistol.
    "Sights are for the unenlightened."

Rick

IDPA Certified Safety Officer
    Likes (1) :
    A34 (12th March 2020)

Last edited by Rick McC.; 11th March 2020 at 20:45.

Posts liked by others
    I've seen lots of reports on quality that vary from good to bad, sometimes based on where they were made. I was wondering what experiences folks on here have had. It shot pretty much like the .45 I had in the Army, which is what I was looking for. I suppose only time and more rounds will tell about this one's quality.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast