Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is there a site for how to choose the correct holster for concealed carry?

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Is there a site for how to choose the correct holster for concealed carry?

Hey Guys,

I'm pretty new to concealed carry and am confused by all the different holsters out there. Is there a site that explains how to choose a particular holster for difference concealed situations like summer vs. winter, or formal vs. casual? And how to choose the right clothes to wear with a particular holster? Also, wondering about different body types, and the holsters that may work better with one over the other.

Thanks!
    Mopar guy - Looking for clean rust free 69 Charger or parts car.
    www.dixierestorationparts.com
    Likes (1) :
    Mark75H (9th March 2020)

Posts liked by others
    You have just embarked on a lifetime of study and investigation. Most (yes, I dare to say "most') people who carry regularly have at least a box or a drawer full of holsters they've tried and moved on from. There simply isn't any single, good answer. You can ask around and see what people you know and trust tend to favor but, in the end, it's going to come down to what works for you.

Be prepared for changes in wardrobe. If you decide to carry inside waistband (IWB), unless you wear very loose trousers you're probably going to need pants that are 2 inches bigger than what you wear now. If you want to carry outside of the waistband (OWB), unless you live in an open carry state AND you are comfortable being seen wearing a gun, you'll be looking for a cover garment of some kind. That might be a vest, a light jacket, a sweater or sweat shirt, or a loose, untucked shirt.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside
    Likes (1) :
    A34 (10th March 2020)

Posts liked by others
    Thanks, that provided a good bit of information. It seems like a class could be taught on the subject, but everyone's different, so I get where you're coming from.

Posts liked by others
    I’ve been carrying concealed daily for over 30 years now (mostly 1911s), so I’ll say what’s seemed to work the best for me. And, as Hawkmoon noted; I have a LOT more holsters around here than I generally use. For all the guns I carry, there are probably 10 holsters that get used. For the few I carry most often; about six. That said, I probably own somewhere between 30 and 40 holsters, maybe a few more.

I stay right around 200 pounds, and am somewhere between 5’10” and 5’11”.

After many years of carrying at 4:00-4:30; I carry at 3:00, both OWB and IWB.

My favorite leather holsters are Warbird Leather, Brommeland Gunleather, and Wilson Combat, for both IWB and OWB carry. For Kydex, I exclusively use Panther Concealment for both IWB and OWB carry.

I wear Tru-Spec 24/7 pants and shorts. They have an internal elastic expansion feature that allows me to buy them in my actual size (36X30) which works for both OWB or IWB carry. The also have, along with many other features; double mag pouches sewn into each cargo pocket. The brand is very well made. I have several, including the first pair of shorts and pants that I bought well over 10 years ago, which are still worn regularly.

My year round cover garment is a Tee shirt one size larger than what fits (EX-LG instead of LG). I always wear an undershirt in the correct size. For me, it’s much more comfortable than having either holster or gun directly rubbing on my skin. It also helps keep sweat away from the gun and holster during the warmer months, which is pretty much year round here.

When you choose to carry concealed, you need to dress for carry, not fashion.
    "Sights are for the unenlightened."

Rick

IDPA Certified Safety Officer
    Likes (1) :
    A34 (13th March 2020)

Last edited by Rick McC.; 13th March 2020 at 20:17.

Posts liked by others
    Much depends on what you have faith in, but also your body type, ambient temperatures, your state's laws, and other factors. I am 6'3", right handed and right eyed, and am required to wear a robe or a suit at almost all times. I could hide most anything under my robe/coat. My state's law does not penalize me if the pistol "prints" (shows a bump on the outside of my clothes), but your state may. People that want the absolute fastest draw will typically carry "Appendix Inside Waist Band", or "AIWB", but if they have an accidental discharge while drawing, the bullet will cut the Femoral artery, and they'll bleed out in seconds. Printing is not a legal problem for me, but I would like to surprise bad guys, if possible. What works for my body type is carrying Inside Waist Band ("IWB") or in a Pancake holster just outside my belt in what is referred to as the "4 O'Clock" position. For many years I carried in a half leather, half Kydex holster that retained loosely clasping the trigger guard with complete satisfaction, then I had two incidents where the pistol jacked itself out of retention and would have fallen out if I had not caught it. I now only carry in IWB holsters that feature a "Thumb Break" feature.

There are other positions you can carry in. If you don't care about whether people can see you carrying, Outside the Waistband ("OWB") is possible, for a right-hander at 3 O'Clock. For someone always sitting, in a car or at a desk, perhaps "Cross Draw" would be good. If you can't wear a cover garment, consider carrying a Snubbie or mini-pistol in a pocket holster.

With all these choices, consider how you will carry extra ammo. Consider carrying a second firearm in case the first one craps out on you, or you empty it. Before you consider all of the foregoing, consider how to avoid a shootout, as you win every shootout you avoid.
    Likes (1) :
    A34 (13th March 2020)

Posts liked by others
    Accidental discharge is negligent discharge, my opinion. Avoid it by training not to put your finger on the trigger until on target.
    Cross draw holsters are great and comfy for a lot of people the only drawback is you will sweep a larger area as you draw.
    Borrow some holsters from friends and see what appeals to you.
    I have two holsters I favor for different reasons one is a old (original) Milt Sparks IWB Summer Special the other is a Galco OWB.
    Kind like picking a mate, very personal choice and it is what you like, no one else.
    Likes (2) :
    A34 (14th March 2020), Ric4509 (14th March 2020)

Posts liked by others
    Thanks, excellent responses guys and it highlights my original post. There is a lot to learn and it would be great if there was a website or even a class on choosing (and how to properly use) various holsters for your body type, weather and different situations. I can certainly see how with all the different manufacturers and types of holsters that it would have a lot of ground to cover and be complicated by everyone's different needs and likes.

I have a permit to carry concealed, but have never felt comfortable doing it. Part of that reason is choosing a holster and clothes that would properly conceal, yet allow for quick access. I understand practicing for speed and proper trigger discipline.

Posts liked by others
    I think your holster choice is as, if not more important than the handgun you decide to carry. Like your handgun choice it is all personal preference and one that has to be made through trial and error. Do you want kydex or leather and there are some advantages to each. I’ve been carrying for over 40 years and have decided on one brand and model holster for all my guns for both IWB and OWB carry. That quest took almost 40 years.

Just remember you get what you pay for and scrimping on a holster is a bad idea.
    NRA Benefactor Life Member, GOA Member, MGO Member
    Likes (1) :
    A34 (14th March 2020)

Posts liked by others
    Here's a video from the late Paul Gomez on choosing carry gear that may be helpful https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DF7VbYh9Qqk

Here's our holster picture thread to give you an idea of what the other folks are using https://forum.m1911.org/showthread.p...icture-Thread-!

It really is a trial and error operation, though. Even a well regarded holster, used by many, may not work for you. It also makes a difference what gun you are carrying. You'd expect a different holster style for a Government Model 1911, vs an S&W Shield.

If you're carrying on the belt, and not an ankle, pocket, or shoulder holster, the belt is the key item. Make sure you have real belt, and carrying becomes more comfortable.
    Likes (1) :
    A34 (19th March 2020)

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by JTQ View Post
    Here's a video from the late Paul Gomez on choosing carry gear that may be helpful https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DF7VbYh9Qqk

Here's our holster picture thread to give you an idea of what the other folks are using https://forum.m1911.org/showthread.p...icture-Thread-!

It really is a trial and error operation, though. Even a well regarded holster, used by many, may not work for you. It also makes a difference what gun you are carrying. You'd expect a different holster style for a Government Model 1911, vs an S&W Shield.

If you're carrying on the belt, and not an ankle, pocket, or shoulder holster, the belt is the key item. Make sure you have real belt, and carrying becomes more comfortable.
    Thank you sir, that's very helpful!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast