Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is the difference between a 1911a1 and 1991a1?

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

What is the difference between a 1911a1 and 1991a1?

Hi Guys,

I recently won a 1991a1 at auction, waiting on it to arrive. What is the main difference between it and a 1911a1? Is is just the cheaper finish and grips?

Thanks!

download (4).jpgdownload (5).jpgdownload (1).jpgdownload.jpgdownload (3).jpg
    Mopar guy - Looking for clean rust free 69 Charger or parts car.
    www.dixierestorationparts.com
    Last edited by A34; 10th March 2020 at 08:43. Reason: Added pics

Posts liked by others
    A 1911A1 is USGI, last made in 1945.
    A 1991A1 is the plain finish economy commercial Series 80 Government Model. Serial numbers picked up where the last military contract left off.
    Likes (1) :
    MuyModesto (10th March 2020)

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    A 1911A1 is USGI, last made in 1945.
    A 1991A1 is the plain finish economy commercial Series 80 Government Model. Serial numbers picked up where the last military contract left off.
    Thanks Jim! So, what are the M1911's called that were issued to the military between 1945 and 1986? Still A1's or different?

Posts liked by others
    The one I was issued in 1974 was a 1911 A1.

I don’t believe that the Army purchased any 1911s after 1945, so any pistols issued after that would probably be ‘A1s. I believe it’s unlikely that any company or battalion level armorers would issue any without performing the ‘A1 upgrades.
    "Sights are for the unenlightened."

Rick

IDPA Certified Safety Officer
    Likes (1) :
    A34 (9th March 2020)

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick McC. View Post
    The one I was issued in 1974 was a 1911 A1.

I don’t believe that the Army purchased any 1911s after 1945, so any pistols issued after that would probably be ‘A1s. I believe it’s unlikely that any company or battalion level armorers would issue any without performing the ‘A1 upgrades.
    Thanks. I was issued one in the early 80's as a tanker. Of course, I never wrote the s/n down or anything like that. It was pretty beat up and loose by the time I got it. I wouldn't doubt if it was that old.
    Likes (1) :
    ChippewaAce (11th April 2020)

Posts liked by others
    Because I'm "that guy," I'll point out that there is actually no such critter as a 1911A1. The military issue (second generation) pistols were designated M1911A1. The Colt commercial pistols that were close in specification to the military pistols, but built in the early to mid-1980s, were designated M1991A1. Those had a parkerized finish and were intended to be close copies of the military pistols, but with the Series 80 firing pin safety.

A few years later, Colt upgraded the finish on that series from parkerized to a brushed, blued finish, and they upgraded the grips from hard rubber to double-diamond checkered wood. Those upgraded models were designated simply the 1991 series (no 'M' prefix, no "A1" suffix).
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside
    Likes (1) :
    Sergio Natali (28th March 2020)

Last edited by Hawkmoon; 10th March 2020 at 10:11.

Posts liked by others
    Thanks for the clarification.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by A34 View Post
    Thanks Jim! So, what are the M1911's called that were issued to the military between 1945 and 1986? Still A1's or different?
    Could have been 1911 or 1911A1, they just kept rebuilding and reissuing guns made 1911 - 1945 until enough of them wore completely out or were combat lossed to justify going to 9mm which had been the plan since about 1950.

Look at pictures of surplus guns released by DCM, CMP, and 1033 program. About any possible combination of parts by maker and vintage will turn up.
    Likes (1) :
    A34 (10th March 2020)

Posts liked by others
    I have a 1991A1, with a low serial number and parkerized finish. Only troubles I had with it were the front sight fell off in the first few months, and the plunger tube fell off after 15 years of use. Otherwise it's been an excellent pistol.
    i sold all my handguns. . . . . . . . . . except for the 1911 style pistols in .45 ACP.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by A34 View Post
    Thanks. I was issued one in the early 80's as a tanker. Of course, I never wrote the s/n down or anything like that. It was pretty beat up and loose by the time I got it. I wouldn't doubt if it was that old.
    I was a tanker as well, the better part of a lifetime ago...
    "Sights are for the unenlightened."

Rick

IDPA Certified Safety Officer
    Likes (1) :
    A34 (11th March 2020)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast