Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Four Inch 1911 Recoil,Springs

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Four Inch 1911 Recoil,Springs

A little info for those who own four inch 1911s.

I’ve been having a time for the last few years finding a recoil spring with over an 11 pound rating for my Wilson Professional. Wilson doesn’t list any over 11 pounds, and a couple of hours spent searching online wasn’t turning up anything. So, when I saw a plethora of recoil springs for Commanders (4 1/4” 1911s), I ordered a couple of 13 pounders.

I figured that when I received them, I’d check for spring bind, and either get lucky, or have to cut a coil or two off.

I got lucky! A Commander sized recoil spring will fit in a four inch 1911 with no spring bind at all.

The recoil spring comes in a set which includes a firing pin spring, and is made by Wolff. I found them at Midway. Interestingly enough; I visited the Wolff website, and could NOT find them there at all.
    "Sights are for the unenlightened."

Rick

IDPA Certified Safety Officer

Posts liked by others
    Rick, what's the Wolff spring part number, please? I have an old paper catalog, which I have found includes some springs and interchange information that's not on their web site.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside

Posts liked by others
    Hey Hawk:

The stock number on the Wolff card inside the plastic bag is 42213.

Rick

Posts liked by others
    Here's some information I gleaned from the printed Wolff catalog (Catalog 50A, copyright date 2000):

Colt, of course, has never offered a 4" 1911, I skipped over Colt. Kimber has offered 4" pistols. Their listing information says "Factory recoil springs are Colt Officers full-diameter 22 pounds (use Stock No. 490xx)." This is for a .45 ACP, of course. The 490xx series springs are (were, in 2000) offered in 18.5, 20, 22, and 24 pounds.

Springfield Armory also has offered 4-inch 1911s. (In fact, I have one.) Looking at listings for Springfield in the Wolff catalog I found:
    • Reduced power .... 18 and 20 pound
    • Factory rating ...... 22 pound
    • Extra power ........ 24 pound

These are spring series 493xx (different from the Kimber listing), and no mention of a Colt Officers spring.

I don't know where I found it, but there's a hand-written note in the catalog that says the standard rating for a 4" in .45 ACP is 22 pounds, and for a 9mm the standard rating is 14 pounds.

Then, if I turn back to the listing for the Colt Officers ACP, it says, "Full diameter recoil springs are for use in the Kimber Compact, Para-Ordnance P-12 [which is a 3-1/2" pistol] and Springfield Ultra Compact and V10 and the Colt Officers with with full diameter/full length guide rod."

That's all just as clear as mud. I guess I'll have to take down my Springfield Champion and Colt Officers ACP and run both recoil springs through my spring tester.
    Hawkmoon
    Likes (1) :
    Rick McC. (11th March 2020)

Last edited by Hawkmoon; 11th March 2020 at 21:55.

Posts liked by others
    I can remember back in my Kimber days (before I learned better the “hard way”), reading that the recoil springs for my stainless ProCarry II were actually springs made for the 3 1/2 Colt Officer’s Model. I still have a couple of those that should fit my Colt Lt. Commander Model (Officer’s Model upper on a LW Commander frame) should I ever need to change the recoil spring.

Rick

Posts liked by others
    I have a Kimber Pro Carry II in 9mm and on Kimbers web sight it calls for a 22lb recoil spring. But they are out of stock and have been for some time. Which spring wight would you recommend and from which retailer?

Posts liked by others
    What barrel length is the Pro Carry II?
    Hawkmoon

Posts liked by others
    Hawk - the barrel length is 4”

Posts liked by others
    See post #4 in this thread

The Wolff catalog doesn't mention any 9mm 4" pistols. In .45 ACP, Wolff says a 22-pound recoil spring is factory, and they list part number 49022. The series is 490xx, where xx is the spring weight. For 9mm, it's usually 2 pounds less than for .45 ACP, but any particular gun might also be happy with 4 pounds less. The 490xx series springs are the full-diameter recoil springs for the Colt Officers ACP, and they are available in 18.5, 20, 22, and 24 pound.

I think I would order one 20-pound and one 18.5 pound, and see which works better.

Wolff springs are available directly from Wolff, and from Brownells. I think they are actually a bit cheaper from Brownells. Click the link at the top of the screen.
    Hawkmoon
    Last edited by Hawkmoon; 7th July 2020 at 03:12.

Posts liked by others
    Hawk, Rick, Thank you

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast