Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Iver Johnson Pony .380

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Ibmikey View Post
    I have about twenty five of the Star DK, FI Model D and IJ Pony pistols and a lot of used FI spare parts. Without going into a lengthy history of how the Star DK almost became a Colt Pony (under the control of FI importer of the pistol until 1968) which would have been an FI steel frame (DK’s are aluminum) and Star DK parts rebadged as Colt ( thus the serial prefix used throughout FI mod D production...CPA). Colt dumped the project...about fifty completed pistols got out...about fifty were returned to FI who also had 1000 slides already marked Colt. FI went on to make the pistols for a number of years before selling out to IJ, a number of changes were made through out the Model D production. I have left out about 90% of the history of the little pistol but once shooting well they are nice for holster wear ( I do not carry cocked and locked in a pocket.
    post photos of your IJ so I can see what extractor you have and serial number, I can help you with a lot of parts but all came from other guns and sometimes requires a lot of juggling to get a working pistol. Also photo magazine as the aftermarket mags are not usually worth having.
    I do not charge for parts when I can help...recoil springs are a captured unit and can differ depending upon time of manufacture and who manufactured it. Exreactors can be one of three types I have found. One of my pistols (Iver Johnson) is apparently a prototype with a Star barrel ( those parts should have been used up years before) casting of an adjustable sight, fat spring type extractor, odd serial prefix with number in the 200’s. These can be fascinating pistols, I should have taken notes when talking to FI in the early seventies numerous times...I also have one of the “scrubbed “ pistols returned from Colt and rebadged with plain block FI nomenclature. I cannot get my I pad to post photos.
    Well like I said it's already functional, not missing any parts, just having those 2 issues with stovepiping and failure to feeds. I'm going to be getting a new recoil spring later this week, leaving only the magazine as a potential culprit if the problems persist. But here are some photos as requested!

00000IMG_00000_BURST20200303203350467_COVER.jpgIMG_20200303_203305.jpg00000IMG_00000_BURST20200303204331809_COVER.jpg00100lrPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20200303203507414_COVER.jpg
    00000IMG_00000_BURST20200303203555515_COVER.jpg

Posts liked by others
    Take a good look at the extractor hook. Use a bright light, and a magnifying glass if you have one. If the extractor loses control of the case before it has ejected, that could be causing your stovepipes. If that's the problem, the extractor might be gunked up and you can clean it out with a dental pick. If it's worn, you can clean it up with a jeweler's file.

Years ago I inherited my grandfather's 1903 Winchester .22 rifle. It's a semi-auto, and I remembered that the last time we used it when I was a teen-ager, it wouldn't eject. I was able to find a video on Youtube explaining how to disassemble it, so I took it down, VERY carefully squared up the extractor hook, and reassembled it. It runs perfectly now. (But it takes a unique .22 cartridge. At $18 a box -- if you can find it -- I don't shoot it much.)
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside

Posts liked by others
    Forgive me as like I mentioned, I'm new to all this... but I believe this is what you're referring to?

00100lrPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20200303232947187_COVER.jpg

00000PORTRAIT_00000_BURST20200303232745293.jpg

Looks fine to me, nothing gunky that I could find. I have to take it in to have the firing pin replaced later this week since I lack the ability to drift the sight off there, I can have them tap out the pins and verify the extractor is good to go too for good measure. (I was thinking that that had to be done to remove the firing pin but the fella at the gun repair place assures me that it's not necessary.)

Posts liked by others
    The extractor is held by two pins and does not have a separate spring like the earlier models, this extractor was developed to do away with problems of not pulling the fired case from the chamber. The magazine is also a proper factory unit and the barrel the last modification doing away with the locking lugs and corresponding cuts in the slide. I would polish the chamber with Flitz or other metal polishing compound in case there may be a burr inside and use only ball ammunition as these pistols were never designed to feed hollowpoint ammunition. Your pistol also is using the later recoil spring and guide assembly, mic the diameter and total length of the spring and call BH spring solutions to see if they can give you any guidance on finding a replacement. If you would like I can send you a magazine to test with but that is a part I do not have many spares and no one makes a reliable replacement that I know of so it would be necessary to return it. If the firing pin spring is weak I probably have a replacement...I fell on my stairs and have a few broken ribs so checking or sending parts may be a bit slow PM an address if you need anything specific. Also measure the firing pin diameter and length or compare the old pin to the new one to see if fitting will be required, many parts in the pistol required hand fitting.

Your firing pin is of the inertia type and would allow carrying with a round in the chamber, I doubt seriously the firing pin is the problem. Polish chamber and replace recoil spring and I would bet the problems will go away.
    Last edited by Ibmikey; 4th March 2020 at 08:25.

Posts liked by others
    Shadesofgraymoon, Send me your contact information and I will send the older captured recoil spring/guide assembly that should drop into your pistol doing away with the current guide and spring.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by shadesofgreymoon View Post
    Forgive me as like I mentioned, I'm new to all this... but I believe this is what you're referring to?

Looks fine to me, nothing gunky that I could find.
    That is the extractor, and it doesn't look fine to me. Since Ibmikey has some of these pistols I'll defer to him if he says it looks normal but, to me, it appears that the tip is rounded off to the extent that I don't see how it can pull a case out of the chamber and hold onto it for ejection. Extractors I've seen, in various calibers from .22 to .45, have all had fairly sharp tips. The tip on yours is nowhere near sharp.

Extractor.JPG
    Hawkmoon
    Last edited by Hawkmoon; 4th March 2020 at 15:58. Reason: Typo

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkmoon View Post
    Ejectors I've seen, in various calibers from .22 to .45, have all had fairly sharp tips. The tip on yours is nowhere near sharp.
    Extractors?
    Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
    M. Setter

Posts liked by others
    I would not declare the extractor to be good or bad with the photos here, trouble shooting a firearm via internet is complex at best. Photos of the malfunction would be nice trying a different recoil assembly probably will correct the difficulties, you should try a fix and if it does not work go on to other areas. Fix multiple areas before testing and you would not know which fixed the problem. I have a test area I can shoot into after a modification is made.

I have never seen a bad ejector on a Star pistol.
    Last edited by Ibmikey; 4th March 2020 at 12:45.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Spyros View Post
    Extractors?
    Thank you. Fixed.
    Hawkmoon

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12